What is a Workstation?

DREIFU@wharton-10

Jun 16, 1981, 11:12:09 PM6/16/81

Reading through the Xerox Press releases on the new SAM (read:
Simply Amazing Machine), I chanced upon an interesting point;

Personal workstations are quite variable in power and facility.

Intelligent terminals (read: Tektronix 4027, ISC all series,
the HDS Concept) have a micro processor in them. These micro's
can be used to run CP/M or similar operating systems. The Heathkit
H19 I also think has a micro 8080 chip.

HDS has been running CP/M on a test basis, and will probably be
releasing a full-blown intelligent/local Micro based terminal.

The SAM appears to be the first "real" workstation that will
commercially fall into this category. Will computer terminals
all go away, and people begin to use micro's -- as a result?
Then, wont we be not working on terminals anymore, but personal
computer/workstations exclusively?

/Hank