Looking ahead

1 view

BENSON@utah-20

Jun 16, 1981, 11:48:04 PM6/16/81
Since this list is supposed to be concerned with workstations, not status
symbols for illiterate executives, I suggest a moratorium on further
discussion of the Star. Cheryl's message should be the final splash of
cold water on our hopes. Obviously it is not the Dolphin nor the Dorado;
you will never see Interlisp running on it, probably not even Smalltalk.
Perhaps someday Xerox will release our dream machine, but currently icons
are outselling iconoclasts.

I would like to see peoples' thoughts on what software tools the ideal
programmer's workstation should have. My feeling is that they will vary
considerably with the application, but that it is probably a failure of
imagination to presume that the same solutions found for time-sharing
systems (e.g. Unix) will be the best.

-- Eric
-------