Farm to School BC - A Farm to School Approach to School Food & Other Regional Updates

Sonya Rokosh

May 30, 2023, 4:31:22 PM5/30/23
to f2s-kamloops-...@googlegroups.com

Good afternoon Kamloops regional group!

The month has been busy with the provincial conference in Vancouver, growing gardens in schools, and getting ready for the end of the school year. It was so exciting to have Salmon Arm Secondary (Sullivan) and Skeetchestn Community School present at our conference and represent some passionate programming happening in the area. Thank you to Nimmi Erasmus, Shaleigh Garson, and Cari-Anne Hunt for making the time to come join us. There were familiar faces from our region at the conference, I hope there were some impactful takeaways. Members of our community were also embedded in influencing the food being served, with our second day showcasing menu items tested by students and approved by dieticians. If you haven’t already, please fill out the conference survey to help us gather feedback and generate ideas for the next one!

Upcoming opportunities:

A Farm to School Approach to School Food Programs

Learn how to develop nourishing school food programs rooted in local food systems. Presented by Matthew Kemshaw (Farm to School BC, Flourish! School Food Society) and Sam Gambling (BC Chapter of the Coalition for Healthy School Food, PHABC)

Date and Time: Wednesday June 7th, 1:00 - 2:30pm PST on Zoom

Sign up: F2SBCSchoolMeals.eventbrite.ca

This webinar will present key considerations for building a school food program that is responsive to your local food system and rooted in evidence-based health promotion practices. Presenters will share some key overarching Farm to School principles before taking a deeper dive into emerging good practices for producing, procuring, distributing, cooking and sharing nourishing food in BCs K-12 schools.

June 6th School Garden Mentorship Webinar @ 3:30pm

“Spring Harvest and Harvest Celebration” w/ guest speaker “Farmer Brown”

There are three workshops left in the series, sign up below

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/school-garden-mentorship-workshops-2023-tickets-492870838947

The Kamloops Food Policy Council is recruiting Board Members

The KFPC is looking for new members to join our board. This volunteer role is an opportunity for individuals to contribute to building a sustainable local food system and to support the work of the KFPC. Prior experience on a board is not necessary. We are looking for candidates with a passion for food and experience in any of the following areas: food insecurity, loss of cultural connection to food, food production, advocacy, social justice, finance, business, human resources, or non-profit governance.

Prospective board members should expect to spend about 8 hours a month on board related duties, including meeting once a month on Wednesday nights.

The KFPC prides itself on being a welcoming and supportive environment; being a board member with us is a way to learn, build new skills, and be part of a vibrant community.

Interested in learning more about becoming a board member? Fill out an expression of interest form, or contact Board Director Catherine Bowen at cathari...@gmail.com

Thank you to all who attended the Farm to School BC Conference!

We would like to invite you to take a moment to complete our post-conference survey. Your feedback is essential in helping us improve future conferences and ensure that we continue to deliver high-quality experiences. Please visit the following link to access the survey: [Survey Link: https://s.surveyplanet.com/8flpgof2]. The survey will remain open until June 2nd, 2023.

Resource Highlight:

Farm to School BC: A Guide to Growing a School Farm

There are a variety of school farm programs and models operating to suit the demographics, geography, and institutional and community needs of their specific regions. Recent research and innovation on school farms demonstrate their potential to educate and empower young adults from diverse backgrounds as agents of change in the food system. This guide to growing school farms captures a variety of stories and perspectives from different school farm models to share with other school districts and broader school communities who may want to start their own farms and large-scale food-growing projects.

Sonya Rokosh (she/her)
Community Animator, Kamloops Region, SD73 & SD83
E: kamloopsregion@farmtoschoolbc.ca
I write with gratitude from the traditional and unceded territories of the Secwepemc Peoples. Kukstemc!

I am employed part-time and I typically will be at my computer on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Thank you for your patience and respect.