Happy September from Farm to School BC!

Sonya Rokosh

Sep 20, 2022, 4:00:31 PM9/20/22
to f2s-kamloops-...@googlegroups.com

Good morning beautiful humans!

I am writing to you from Secwepemc’ulew, here in Tk’emlups, what is known to many as Kamloops. Today started with a crisp morning, and there was a thin layer of frost on a few surfaces that I noticed out in my backyard. The golden finches are enjoying the sunflowers going to seed, reminding me that this time of year is both busy and on the fringe of slowing down. The mornings are cool enough for wool sweaters, and the sun gifts small children with the longest shadows on these mid-September days. <3

My name is Sonya Rokosh and as of June, I was honoured to take on Serena Caner’s role as the regional Farm to School animator. The region I support covers both SD73 and SD83. That is a lot of physical ground to cover! And, I am so blessed to already have some strong relationships in both districts, thank you to my community for making this possible. For those educators keen to connect so we can discuss a passion, a project, or a problem, please contact me at kamloop...@farmtoschoolbc.ca. I generally check my emails on Monday, Tuesday & Thursday, as I work 20 hours a week and often spend a chunk of my time out in schools or program locations. Additionally, please note, if you reply to this email message directly it will go to our entire Google Group/Listserve (up to 100 addresses), so please be mindful of your email actions. : )

Please scroll through some of the opportunities, webinars, and events below. Note the Garden Mentorship Workshop happening TODAY at 3:15 pm online. We will have a guest, David Catzel, from Farm Folk, City Folk to talk to us about seed saving.

Shuswap Food Action - Truth and Reconciliation Food Support

Ongoing until the end of the month

Shuswap Food Action is offering this food literacy opportunity for teachers (Grade 4 - 5) who want a special activity for Truth and Reconciliation Day. Teachers in SD 83 can receive a $25 grocery gift card for their purchases. Email Serena Caner at in...@shuswapfood.ca (See attachment for more details)

School Garden Mentorship Series - Harvesting and Seed Saving (next week!)

Tuesday, September 20th, 3:15 - 4:30 (Online)

Are you a K-12 educator in BC in the initial stages of creating a school garden or are revitalizing an existing school garden? Join us for our School Garden Mentorship Workshop on harvesting and seed saving.  David Catzel from Farm Folk City Folk will join the call to discuss seed saving with students.

Sign up here!

Fruitloops @ The Stir, Kamloops

Saturday, September 24th, 11:00 - 2:00 pm

Head down to The Stir for this family-focused event on September 24th from 11-2 pm!

This family-friendly brunch event on the North Shore will offer music, games, coffee, crêpes from Good for You Crêpes, and a selection of locally gleaned fruit and fruit sauces!

Entry is by suggested donation of $5-10 to support our Food Hub and KFPC programs and events.

Where: The Stir (185 Royal Ave)

When: Saturday, September 24th from 11:00 am-2:00 pm

Food Insecurity Webinar with Dr. Valerie Tarasuk

September 29 @ 10am PST

Every Canadian has the right to food. Yet, in 2021, 5.8 million Canadians - including 1.4 million children - lived in food-insecure households. What does this statistic mean for Canada? Who is most affected? What can be done to address this issue?

Join us on September 29 @ 1 pm EST for a discussion based on these questions and more with Dr. Valerie Tarasuck (PROOF, University of Toronto), Afua Asantewaa (Food Secure Canada), and Kristina Craiq (Yukon Anti-Poverty Coalition)

For more information, click here

Call for Abstracts- PHABC Conference: Our planet, Our health

Deadline: September 30

If you have research on or are part of a promising practice you think aligns with our conference themes, we welcome your contribution to our dialogue. The conference plenary sessions will focus on four inter-related themes: 1) Making Peace with Nature for Public Health 2) Ecojustice/Eco-social Equity and Public Heath 3) Well-being Societies 4) Local (Practice) and Action

Learn more and submit here: https://phabc.org/conference-2022/call-for-abstracts/

Wild Salmon Caravan: A celebration of the spirit of wild Salmon

October 2nd, Chase, BC

Join community members, alongside the Working Group on Indigenous Food Sovereignty and the Indigenous Food and Freedom School, to celebrate and honor the journey of the salmon. (See the poster attached for more details)

Kamloops Food Policy Council, Potluck

October 5th, 5:30-7:30 pm @ The Stir

Join us this October for some good food, company, and discussions on our Food and the City Series!

Date: Wednesday, October 5th, 2022

Time: 5:30pm – 7:30pm

Location: 185 Royal Ave, Kamloops, BC V2B 8J6

We recognize that not everyone has the same comfort level at in-person gatherings. This network meeting will be a BYOP setting: Bring your own Potluck item to share or Picnic for yourself.

*Please note, that we will not have access to the ovens at The Stir, so food cannot be warmed up. Please bring cold food or hot food in a crockpot. Compostable plates & cutlery will be provided!

Grand Opening of the Food Hub @ The Stir

October 13th, 5:00pm - late

The official Ribbon Cutting will be taking place from 5:00-6:00 pm, followed by a Potluck & Party from 6:00 pm to late. Please join us for the ribbon cutting and/or the potluck and party. Bring something to share and enjoy complementary drinks, music, dancing, and fun!

We can't wait to celebrate this amazing community initiative with you!

Where: The Stir (185 Royal Ave)

When: 5:00-6:00 pm for Ribbon Cutting | 6:00 pm for Potluck & Party

Growing School Farms PD Day

Friday, October 21st at Reynolds, Victoria, BC

Gather to share knowledge, experience, and promising practices related to school farms with like-minded folks from across the Province. Come away from this session inspired and connected to others working towards sustainable, resilient food systems through local food growing and agricultural education.

More information and registration

2022 BC School Food Network Gathering

Wednesday, November 9th at Royal Bay, Victoria, BC

This annual event for school food practitioners and advocates will explore the future of universal, healthy school food programs in BC.

 More information and registration

kinSHIFT training for BC farmers through Young Agrarians

Are you a farmer located in BC wondering how to honour the Indigenous roots of the land you steward? kinSHIFT (an Indigenous-led initiative based in Syilx-Okanagan territory) hosts a beautiful online training about cultivating stronger relationships with Indigenous peoples and places, and Young Agrarians has received funds to subsidize the cost for BC farmers. The workshops are a 4-part series called “Elements of Truth: Before Reconciliation”. The next round's dates are on Fridays: September 30th, October 7th, 14th, and 21st from 1:00 to 3:30 p.m. PST. YA is offering discount codes for 50% to 90% off to B.C. farmers. To get the codes, email Michalina at comm...@youngagrarians.org with your name, farm name, and location. If cost is a barrier, let us know and we will send you a 100% off discount code. The whole series is about $450.

Grant Opportunity - Natural Infrastructure Fund

Funding for projects increasing human access to nature, including planting and restoration projects, infrastructure supporting biodiversity and connectivity, and more (including community and other gardens).

Grants are for $30,000 and up to and including $250,000.

Deadline: September 27th 2022

Apply here: https://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/nif-fin/index-eng.html

Grant Opportunity - Whole Kids Bee Grants

These grant programs allow schools and non-profit organizations to receive support for educational beehives and bee programming so students can observe bees up close and learn about the vital role these pollinators play in our food system. K-12 Schools or Non-Profit Organizations that serve any grades K-12 in the U.S./Canada are eligible. Monetary or Equipment grants are available depending on needs and include one-on-one program consultation and an educator resource pack. $1500 for new applicants and $500 for applicants that have already received support.

Apply here by October 15th: https://www.wholekidsfoundation.org/programs/honey-bee-hive-grant

Webinar Series - Growing School Gardens Online Webinar series

Bring the learnings of the April 2022 Growing School Gardens Summit home with this six month webinar series, featuring a variety of presentations from the Summit. Sessions include Grow & Preserve Food using NGSS/STEAM, Summit Lightning Talks, Sustainable Professional Development Framework for Your SGSO, and more!

Learn more and register here.

Some Other Garden and Food Resources

Sonya Rokosh (she/her)
Community Animator, Kamloops Region, SD73 & SD83
E: kamloopsregion@farmtoschoolbc.ca
I write with gratitude from the traditional and unceded territories of the Secwepemc Peoples. Kukstemc!

I am employed part-time and I typically will be at my computer on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Thank you for your patience and respect.
Wild Salmon Caravan Oct 2 Chase BC_.jpg
Let Food Bring Us Together! (1).docx