Registration of f2py project with f2py team on launchpad

Kurt Smith

May 14, 2009, 12:15:36 AM5/14/09
to f2py-dev
Pearu,

I'm attempting to push my changes to the f2py repo, but I'm not
allowed. I think you need to register the f2py project with the f2py
team, here:

https://code.launchpad.net/~f2py

The confusing bit is that it will locate it at ~f2py/+junk/<name> I'm
not so sure about the +junk part. Any pointers?

Thanks,

Kurt

Pearu Peterson

May 14, 2009, 2:07:59 AM5/14/09
to f2py...@googlegroups.com

I am not sure either. I am not very active lp user and bzr can be
confusing to me too. Anyway, I registered the branch
lp:~f2py/+junk/devel
for the f2py team. I am not sure what do to next as
bzr push lp:~f2py/+junk/devel
fails here. I am inclining to abandon bzr and may be use google code
instead: it would be simpler and more straightforward.
What do you think?

Pearu

Dag Sverre Seljebotn

May 14, 2009, 2:23:56 AM5/14/09
to f2py...@googlegroups.com

If you do go with Google Code, you should make a Mercurial repo (for which
they just added support) and not a SVN repo. We use Mercurial in Cython
BTW.

Dag Sverre

Dag Sverre Seljebotn

May 14, 2009, 2:48:44 AM5/14/09
to f2py...@googlegroups.com

IMO, that is.

--
Dag Sverre

Pearu Peterson

May 14, 2009, 3:07:13 AM5/14/09
to F2PY Developers
The Mercurial support in Google Code (GC) is experimental, see

http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2009/04/mercurial-support-for-project-hosting.html

and if Kurt prefers Mercurial over SVN, then we can give it a try.
Otherwise, we can also turn SVN to Mercurial later when GC Mercurial
support becomes stable.
The question is whether we have time to support GC Mercurial support
development when
problems arise.

So, Kurt, shall we drop lp or do you want to get it working?
If we are going to drop lp, then I'll create the GC project for f2py
so that we could start doing something useful:)

Best regards,
Pearu

Pearu Peterson

May 14, 2009, 4:50:24 AM5/14/09
to F2PY Developers
Ok, I have created Google Code project for f2py:

http://code.google.com/p/f2py/

and added you to the project as members. If you need
admin access at some point (update the main web page, etc)
then let me know and I'll add you to the owners list.

I have copied the f2py code from launchpad to the trunk.
So, feel free to start committing your changes there.

Switching from SVN to Mercurial remains an open issue.

Best regards,
Pearu

On May 14, 10:07 am, Pearu Peterson <pearu.peter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Mercurial support in Google Code (GC) is experimental, see
>
>  http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2009/04/mercurial-support-for...

Kurt Smith

May 14, 2009, 10:51:06 AM5/14/09
to f2py...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Pearu Peterson
<pearu.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I have created Google Code project for f2py:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/f2py/

Thanks! I'll take a look.

> and added you to the project as members. If you need
> admin access at some point (update the main web page, etc)
> then let me know and I'll add you to the owners list.
>
> I have copied the f2py code from launchpad to the trunk.
> So, feel free to start committing your changes there.
>
> Switching from SVN to Mercurial remains an open issue.

I would prefer Mercurial myself; like you I don't know how
'experimental' it is in GC right now. I'll dig around a bit.

Kurt

Dag Sverre Seljebotn

May 14, 2009, 10:58:07 AM5/14/09
to f2py...@googlegroups.com
Kurt Smith wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Pearu Peterson
> <pearu.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok, I have created Google Code project for f2py:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/f2py/
>
> Thanks! I'll take a look.
>
>> and added you to the project as members. If you need
>> admin access at some point (update the main web page, etc)
>> then let me know and I'll add you to the owners list.
>>
>> I have copied the f2py code from launchpad to the trunk.
>> So, feel free to start committing your changes there.
>>
>> Switching from SVN to Mercurial remains an open issue.
>
> I would prefer Mercurial myself; like you I don't know how
> 'experimental' it is in GC right now. I'll dig around a bit.

We could always ask about putting it on Cython's servers (= Sage's servers).

Or simply use bitbucket.org.

--
Dag Sverre

Pearu Peterson

May 14, 2009, 12:08:20 PM5/14/09
to f2py...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<da...@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:

> We could always ask about putting it on Cython's servers (= Sage's servers).
>
> Or simply use bitbucket.org.

This would solve only one problem - where to keep the code.
We would still need to decide where to do development (bug tracking,
wiki pages, reviews, etc). IMO, google code is pretty good for all that.

Pearu

Kurt Smith

May 14, 2009, 1:10:17 PM5/14/09
to f2py...@googlegroups.com

A quick look reveals that both bitbucket and googlecode support a
wiki, issue/bug tracking, and mercurial, although bitbucket's
mercurial integration is more robust (as to be expected). So it comes
down to aesthetics and how highly we value a fully supported DVCS at
the moment, I reckon. If we were to put it on Cython/Sage servers
we'd have to set up something like a trac account for the bug
tracking.

I'm slightly more in favor of bitbucket because it 1) has full DVCS
support and 2) has all the ancillary features out of the box.

I'm fine with GC if that's what is decided, but I'd rather not use
SVN. The mercurial support has some limitations, and it's on an
'invitation only' status (we apply for mercurial support and it's up
to GC to allow it).

http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/MercurialStatus

Kurt

Dag Sverre Seljebotn

May 14, 2009, 1:22:14 PM5/14/09
to f2py...@googlegroups.com

(When I proposed bitbucket or Cython servers I was talking about
repository only -- we could use Google Code for the rest, the repository
doesn't *have* to be hosted there (and one would think of it as
temporary until hg goes out of beta at GC)

Also note that it's possible to use git-svn to get some level of DVCS
with GC.

--
Dag Sverre

Kurt Smith

May 14, 2009, 2:58:10 PM5/14/09
to f2py...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn

<da...@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:

> Kurt Smith wrote:
>> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Pearu Peterson
>> <pearu.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
>>> <da...@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:

[snip]

>> I'm slightly more in favor of bitbucket because it 1) has full DVCS
>> support and 2) has all the ancillary features out of the box.
>>
>> I'm fine with GC if that's what is decided, but I'd rather not use
>> SVN.  The mercurial support has some limitations, and it's on an
>> 'invitation only' status (we apply for mercurial support and it's up
>> to GC to allow it).
>
> (When I proposed bitbucket or Cython servers I was talking about
> repository only -- we could use Google Code for the rest, the repository
> doesn't *have* to be hosted there (and one would think of it as
> temporary until hg goes out of beta at GC)

I see. Thanks for the info.

Since Pearu was kind enough to move things to GC I'll gladly work from
there. We can consider moving the repo to bitbucket or Cython later
if that makes sense. I'll likely make use of git-svn or hg-svn for
local management (thanks for that pointer, too).

I just successfully committed a changeset. Thanks for the help.

Kurt