Fwd: Riverstone Organic Farm Looking for Summer Interns --- Floyd, VA

Jessica Sturm

Feb 23, 2012, 12:25:10 PM2/23/12
to f2f-a...@googlegroups.com

Riverstone Farm
592 Paradise Lane
Floyd, VA 24091

Contact: Brett Nichols

Phone: [Cell] 540-577-8218

Email: 3ves...@gmail.com

General Description: Riverstone Farm is located in a scenic mountain valley in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Floyd County along the banks of the Little River. Interns will be involved in all phases of producing, harvesting and marketing fresh produce and eggs under the mentorship of experienced full-time growers. Herbs, bedding plants, cut flowers, and some livestock are also included in our operation. We attend several area farmers' markets, operate a CSA, and sell to local wholesalers, stores, and restaurants. Riverstone is fortunate to be a part of an active, involved farming region with many like minded individuals and businesses and an emerging local food scene. We are just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and have ample opportunity for outdoor recreation, local arts, festivals and local music venues.

Internship Starts: May 1
Internship Ends: October 31
Number of Interns: 2
App Deadline: February 25
Minimum Length of Stay: full season

Meals: Meals are the responsibility of the intern, however shared lunches and dinners are encouraged.

Skills Desired: Honesty, a strong work ethic, and desire to learn the farming trade are prerequisite. This internship is intended for those interested in pursuing a career in agriculture/farming. One or more years farming experience desirable, but not required.

Educational Opportunities: Access to our sustainable agriculture library and publications. There are also occasions to attend area workshops or tours focusing on sustainable living and farming methods. Nearby farms may also offer field-walks, potluck gatherings, and personal visits. Interns are encouraged to network with interns at other local farms. Riverstone also promotes advanced mentoring in specific skills such as composting, nutrient management, irrigation, pest control, rotational grazing, fence construction, greenhouse management, tractor operation, CSA administration, retail marketing, as well as focus on production, handling, etc of particular crops.

Stipend: Each intern will receive $500/month plus diverse farmer training in all areas. Farm produce is included in compensation.

Housing: Housing consists of a modest personal sleeping cabin and access to a kitchen/break room and bathroom facility.

Preferred method Of Contact: phone or e-mail

Internship Details: Interns will work side by side with farmers as well as independently in the fields and at market. Interns are expected to work 40 hours per week, and will have designated days off depending on the weather and season. We will require a commitment to work the whole season. Riverstone Farm is a drug free environment. Please send resume, and a narrative describing your interest as to why you are interested in organic vegetable growing, along with three personal references to Brett Nichols at 3ves...@gmail.com.