Shaping cedar rudder + centerboard

Menno

Oct 13, 2008, 6:59:21 AM10/13/08
to F22 Builders
I'll build my rudder and centerboard from western red cedar. Wondering
what is the best/easiest way to shape them (apart from CNC - I don't
have the correct dxf filles).

My idea is to draw lines on the blank lenghtwise, combining all points
where the rudder/centerboard has the same thickness. Then use a router
to make grooves with the correct depth and use those grooves as a
guide while shaping with a power planer.

Is this the way to go or would it be just as easy to shape the blank
only using the templates? Comments are much appreciated.

Grant Kinsman

Oct 13, 2008, 8:51:29 AM10/13/08
to Menno, F22 Builders
Hello Menno,
I found that with a foam/carbon fiber daggerboard construction it was possible to get close by using the templates and sanding down carefully with the random orbital (coarse) then hand sanding (fine).  Remember you still have to laminate and fair.  Your idea sounds interesting to me however, I can see it working. I'm not sure if the power planer would be required though, I find them hard to control and I think they are mean't for long flats, not the gentle curves of these parts..
Grant
--
Grant Kinsman

bu...@terrigal.net.au

Oct 13, 2008, 4:33:10 PM10/13/08
to F22 Builders
HI Menno , I find it easiest to just use a power planer and templates
then doing the finer work with a belt sander then orbital . A torture
board is useful too . An old friend of mine used to shape his with a
router , he made two templates which sat over the blank then the
router bit went down between them . This worked well everywhere except
the leading edge , this still needed to be done by hand . Given that
the F22 foil is tapered you would need a series of templates but you
get your basic shape very quickly . A baby grinder with a soft disc is
also very handy for the transition from foil to square . Good luck ,
regards , Jim Buckland .

rw

Oct 14, 2008, 7:48:06 AM10/14/08
to F22 Builders
I am just about to start building mine. at this stage i am going to
shape a piece of blue styrene. Will be making a hot wire cutter. Also
making a template for the profile from 1mm aluminium. Will use this to
shape the foam. I will be taking pics as i go.

Jim

Nov 15, 2008, 11:36:06 AM11/15/08
to F22 Builders
Menno,

I know this post is rather old now and you've probably gotten over the
hump, but I do have the dxf files for the rudder. I paid a fellow to
write them for so i could carve it on my cnc machine.

Jim
Maine
builder of Sam Ballard's F-22

Grant Kinsman

Dec 3, 2008, 7:37:13 PM12/3/08
to F22 Builders
Menno,  I just posted some pictures (www.f22build.blogspot.com) of my foam rudder blade shaping using your idea of routing along lines of equal thickness.  It worked out quite well and found it easier than using templates.
Thanks for sharing that idea.
Grant