Re: [F-Script] Where to contribute ... code?

Jason Brennan

Jan 29, 2013, 2:22:48 PM1/29/13
to f-sc...@googlegroups.com
Clay,

You might be interested in the Super Debugger project I released at Shopify: https://github.com/Shopify/superdb It embeds F-Script in iOS, and (although I haven't tested this yet) it should work quite well on OS X, too. So it's kind of a superset of F-Script (or well, not really, because it lacks many of the Mac interface tools F-Script uses on the Mac). However, it's a slightly more modernized code base and any help would be very welcomed.

If you'd rather keep your changes in the canonical repository, I'd recommend just forking it yourself. If you make enough changes in your fork and people like it, yours will become canonical. The beauty of open source software!

Jason.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Clay Bridges <clayb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Newbie here. From the website:

F-Script is an open source project. We welcome any kind of contribution and support: feedback, ideas, bug reports or fixes, enhancements and extensions of the F-Script interpreter or graphical environment, interface with new or existing tools, dollars, wedding proposals etc.

Where does one submit "fixes, enhancements and extensions"? I'd vote for github, and there a github repository for pmougin, but it's deadsville. I know there is some active development on other accounts, but there is no active & authoritative location on github. This seems to be a sine qua non for F-script to go forward, as the website dist appears broken as of ML/OS X 10.8 (XgridFoundation problem).

What's the best way to have an active & authoritative project for this, where folks could submit their patches?

Clay Bridges

Jan 29, 2013, 6:58:23 PM1/29/13
to f-sc...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

I'd already noticed/starred/filed-to-look-at superdb, cool stuff. F-Script is still hits my right-now use case though, I *think*.

> If you'd rather keep your changes in the canonical repository, I'd recommend just forking it yourself.
> If you make enough changes in your fork and people like it, yours will become canonical.
> The beauty of open source software!

It's always good that branching out on one's own is an option. But from what I've experienced, such splintering causes great confusion and extra work, often unnecessary. To wit, GitX {original, brotherbard, GitX-L, GitX-dev}. If it's possible to unify the community under a single banner, and keep the original website/locus relevant, it keeps everybody linked up, and doesn't require learning the secret handshake to discover the good stuff.

Thanks again, & I hope I find the time to delve into superdb.

Clay

Ilya Kulakov

Jan 30, 2013, 2:08:50 AM1/30/13
to f-sc...@googlegroups.com
I think there are 2 main approaches right now:

Clay Bridges

Jan 30, 2013, 4:00:07 PM1/30/13
to f-sc...@googlegroups.com
Or perhaps backward & forward compatible. I can understand the need for both, but IMO the flagship effort should be forward.

Mathieu Godart

Jan 31, 2013, 2:17:28 AM1/31/13
to f-sc...@googlegroups.com
This is huge! I didn't know that FS has been available for iOS. For me (except for the CoreData obj browser) it was only working for Mac apps. Maybe it should be said on the official website.

Anyway, I will continue to play with SuperDB and FS and when I'm more confident, I will try to contribute too. ;-)

Mathieu Godart

Jonathan Mitchell

Jan 31, 2013, 4:29:56 AM1/31/13
to f-sc...@googlegroups.com

The GC version is now deprecated technology.
I only keep it in the main Mugginsoft git hub master branch because I have a personal need for it at the moment.
In time the GC version should be relegated to a minor branch.

I would use the Kentzo branch for any new development.

Begin forwarded message: