[f-AA] McDowell starters

151 views
Skip to first unread message

colie pitts

unread,
May 10, 2016, 11:40:26 PM5/10/16
to Aer...@westmont.edu
     Just want to put out a little information to anyone that may be interested in McDowell starters on their Aeroncas or any other airplane with small Continental engines.  Don Jones and I are currently making all parts needed for kits for A 65, C 75,85, & 90 HP engines, and flange shaft and tapered shaft engines.  These items include starter mounts, pulleys and pulley brackets, fairleads, handles, boots , shims , spacers and special nuts and bolts.  We currently have 6-8 starters, 6-8  tapered and flange shaft ratchet wheels.  Our goal is to have enough parts for spares and to make up kits for all combinations. Later this summer will make the bolt on brackets and handles for the Champ. If the interest is sufficent, we will start making a limited number of new starters and ratchet wheels.  We will start up an E-BAY store shortly with everything listed separately and as a kit, with pictures and info needed. Anyone wanting any information on what you need or any questions, can contact me by E-mail.  Would like any feedback or a poll on what you may want, to help us determine quanities to be made in the future. I have helped out 10 to 12 Chiefs in the last 2 years get everything they needed an installed on their Chiefs including the only McDowell in the UK.  Currently have 5 Champs on the want list..  Let me know if interested and what you may need.  Plan on having everything for all combinations .  Remember Ray Johnson has the spinners and backing plates for tapered and flange shafts and metal and wooden props.

--
colie pitts

Rich Dugger

unread,
May 11, 2016, 12:17:43 AM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Great work, Colie.
You will go down in history, like Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer.

Rich
 
 
"I don't know what use any one could find for a machine that would make copies of documents. It certainly couldn't be a feasible business by itself."

(The head of IBM, refusing to back the idea, forcing the inventor to found Xerox)


_______________________________________________
Aeronca mailing list
Aer...@westmont.edu
http://mail.westmont.edu/mailman/listinfo/aeronca

j...@joea.com

unread,
May 11, 2016, 1:43:57 AM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Colie,

This is excellent news! Very glad to see this!

Now I would like to really push you guys to bring some samples to Middletown next month!
Am guessing you would waltz away with lots of orders!!

Mind if I post this on the NAA's facebook page and bulletin board? Or could you please do
so?

Joe A

colie pitts

unread,
May 11, 2016, 6:32:40 AM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu, j...@joea.com
Hey Joe, go ahead and post this info on the NAA bulletin and Facebook. Thanks
--
colie pitts

Richard Murray

unread,
May 11, 2016, 6:47:45 AM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Great news Colie! Don is a super person and will insure quality parts.

Richard in OH appreciating the dynamic duo making McDowell a reality again.

Scott Johnson

unread,
May 11, 2016, 9:33:32 AM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Colin,

We are looking to put one on our Champ as it came from the factory with one. Any idea on pricing?

Scott

Dale P. Jewett

unread,
May 11, 2016, 11:49:47 AM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu

Colie,

 

Good news. My Chief apparently has the original McDowell starter since the equipment list shows it as factory installed. Still works quite well. I consider it a safety device. I never hand prop, just two shots of prime, pull 6 blades with mags OFF, position the prop, back to the cockpit, one pull and it starts.

 

Dale Jewett

N9130E

 

From: Aeronca [mailto:aeronca...@westmont.edu] On Behalf Of colie pitts
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:40 PM
To: Aer...@westmont.edu
Subject: [f-AA] McDowell starters

 

     Just want to put out a little information to anyone that may be interested in McDowell starters on their Aeroncas or any other airplane with small Continental engines.  Don Jones and I are currently making all parts needed for kits for A 65, C 75,85, & 90 HP engines, and flange shaft and tapered shaft engines.  These items include starter mounts, pulleys and pulley brackets, fairleads, handles, boots , shims , spacers and special nuts and bolts.  We currently have 6-8 starters, 6-8  tapered and flange shaft ratchet wheels.  Our goal is to have enough parts for spares and to make up kits for all combinations. Later this summer will make the bolt on brackets and handles for the Champ. If the interest is sufficent, we will start making a limited number of new starters and ratchet wheels.  We will start up an E-BAY store shortly with everything listed separately and as a kit, with pictures and info needed. Anyone wanting any information on what you need or any questions, can contact me by E-mail.  Would like any feedback or a poll on what you may want, to help us determine quanities to be made in the future. I have helped out 10 to 12 Chiefs in the last 2 years get everything they needed an installed on their Chiefs including the only McDowell in the UK.  Currently have 5 Champs on the want list..  Let me know if interested and what you may need.  Plan on having everything for all combinations .  Remember Ray Johnson has the spinners and backing plates for tapered and flange shafts and metal and wooden props.

 

--

colie pitts


Virus-free. www.avast.com

Bruce Snider

unread,
May 11, 2016, 12:19:47 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Thanks Colie!!   

Would we need to change the nose bowl to add the McDowell Starter?   I have a stock Champ, A65

Best Regards, Bruce



_______________________________________________
Aeronca mailing list
Aer...@westmont.edu
http://mail.westmont.edu/mailman/listinfo/aeronca

j...@joea.com

unread,
May 11, 2016, 12:44:27 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Bruce,

Yes it does take a different nose bowl. They are not easy to find either... I have 2-3 of them
and all show some distress but took me years to pick them up.

I would think that you could convert a Champ version into the Chief/McDowell version but it
take a large industrial press and making the "inset" portion of the nose-bowl where the
McDowell sets behind the prop. Possibly Don Jones might be able to do this...

Joe A

Aeronca Flyer

unread,
May 11, 2016, 12:53:21 PM5/11/16
to j...@joea.com, aer...@westmont.edu

I have a perfect one I'd like to use to pull a mold. There is s fellow in Creswell named Kyle that is learning to pull a mold of a Cadet nose, after he figures it out I'll pick his brain, and maybe enlist him. He took over from Tim Talen, and has some serious skills for the tender age of 23.

Another buddy of mine in Creswell took over Steve Wolf's business, which includes carbon Pitts parts. See where I'm going here?

Richard in Creswell, future Carbon Champ flyer

j...@joea.com

unread,
May 11, 2016, 12:59:58 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Making one out of fiberglass or even better carbon fiber would be much easier than
aluminum... that's where the press would be required.

If we can find someone good at glass or fiber that might be the way to go!

Joe A

Aeronca Flyer

unread,
May 11, 2016, 1:10:23 PM5/11/16
to j...@joea.com, aer...@westmont.edu

This guy can make them in carbon, but carbon will cost you.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=121046422369&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2FSpecialty-Aero-121046422369%2Fphotos

Richard in Creswell, with 4 Chief noses in various states

Murray Chris

unread,
May 11, 2016, 1:12:27 PM5/11/16
to Edu Aeronca@Westmont., Abrahamson Joe
I’ve got a Chief nose bowl with McDowell insert. As it’s the only one I have for my project, I’d be willing to swap for a standard bowl.
Chris


> On May 11, 2016, at 09:59, j...@joea.com wrote:
>
> Making one out of fiberglass or even better carbon fiber would be much easier than
> aluminum... that's where the press would be required.
>
> If we can find someone good at glass or fiber that might be the way to go!
>

> Joe A
>

> On 11 May 2016 at 9:52, Aeronca Flyer wrote:
>
>>

Mark McAtee

unread,
May 11, 2016, 1:56:59 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
What mags do you have?  I have been told that the Bendix SF-4rn non-impulse don't work with the McDowell.


 
 
 
Mark 


 




From: dal...@sbcglobal.net
To: aer...@westmont.edu
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 10:49:26 -0500
Subject: Re: [f-AA] McDowell starters

Mark Peterson

unread,
May 11, 2016, 2:19:37 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
I've heard that the non-impulse work (judging from the fleet I would say that
a lot of 11AC chiefs with McDowells had the non-impulse from the factory) but that
most people didn't properly set up the starter to do its thing.  You have to
prime and pull through the prop from outside
the and then hop in the give it the final pull.   Too many people just started
to jerk the lever without setting the plane up for the start first.   Reminds me of the
old Cox BabeBee .049 engines that you had to prime just right and then use
the spring starter.   Most of the time, the front of the plane was slobbery with
castor oil by the time the engine caught.  



"Cherish the Minnesota State Fair. Wherever you find beauty and simplicity and truth, know that there is a committee somewhere planning to improve it — don't let them do it."  
 — Garrison Keillor



From: gorg...@hotmail.com
To: aer...@westmont.edu
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 11:56:39 -0600

Mark Peterson

unread,
May 11, 2016, 2:19:58 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
I've heard that the non-impulse work (judging from the fleet I would say that
a lot of 11AC chiefs with McDowells had the non-impulse from the factory) but that
most people didn't properly set up the starter to do its thing.  You have to
prime and pull through the prop from outside
the and then hop in the give it the final pull.   Too many people just started
to jerk the lever without setting the plane up for the start first.   Reminds me of the
old Cox BabeBee .049 engines that you had to prime just right and then use
the spring starter.   Most of the time, the front of the plane was slobbery with
castor oil by the time the engine caught.  



"Cherish the Minnesota State Fair. Wherever you find beauty and simplicity and truth, know that there is a committee somewhere planning to improve it — don't let them do it."  
 — Garrison Keillor



From: gorg...@hotmail.com
To: aer...@westmont.edu
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 11:56:39 -0600

Dale P. Jewett

unread,
May 11, 2016, 2:55:52 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu

I have slick mags both with impulse couplings.

 

Dale


Virus-free. www.avast.com

cham...@gmail.com

unread,
May 11, 2016, 3:11:03 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Ahh. Old memories are the best.  I still have scars on my fingers from starting many .049s. We threw away the springs and never thought about starter sticks.  They pack a punch when they kick back. I have many many hours on lil satans and combat kittens.  

Thanks! Bruce. 

Rafael

unread,
May 11, 2016, 3:20:59 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
My first engine was diesel

Transmitted from an NDB 

Lucy Ooi

unread,
May 11, 2016, 5:41:58 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu

We will see how the auction goes. If i get the plane I might be in for one. Rudolph doesn't need one since he has a Lycoming and a Skytec.

On another note, how do you pull a mold? My cowling is getting pretty ratty and I wouldn't mind learning how to make a fiberglass one.

Lucy
N4009B
"Rudolph"

John Rodkey

unread,
May 11, 2016, 6:07:34 PM5/11/16
to Aeronca Aviators
Love the little .010 that was on the pitts special control line model.  The airplane was a beast to fly - so twitchy, vulnerable to winds, no centripetal force at all to keep the lines taut because it was tiny and light.    But still, if you could keep it in the air, it was really a wonderful moment.

I didn't get bit by the .010 and .049s, but the .09 did get me a couple times, and then there was the time I was trying to break in an 0.25 in my basement workshop.  The two scars near the base of my left thumb are still visible.

--
John (poobah) Rodkey - N9361E 11AC at Goleta

colie pitts

unread,
May 11, 2016, 6:17:07 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Hey Rich, hope the interest is there to justify it. good thing it is just a hobby.
--
colie pitts

colie pitts

unread,
May 11, 2016, 6:18:01 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Thanks Richard.

colie pitts

unread,
May 11, 2016, 6:37:40 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
 Hello Scott,  Don't know the firm pricing yet, and it will vary some according to what you need for each setup. For instance ,if your Champ came from the factory with a starter , you may have the two fuselage tubing fittings welded in place, like the Chief did. But the Champ has a different handle than the Chief. Most of the Champs had bolt on handle and pulley fittings, kinda like an after thought for the Champ. Standard on the Chief ,an option on the Champ.I am adding you to the list

colie pitts

unread,
May 11, 2016, 6:42:40 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Thanks for the note Dale.  Maybe you won;t ever need any spare parts, but we will have some. if you do have some parts now , like pawls and mainsprings, etc.

_______________________________________________
Aeronca mailing list
Aer...@westmont.edu
http://mail.westmont.edu/mailman/listinfo/aeronca




--
colie pitts

colie pitts

unread,
May 11, 2016, 7:18:15 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu, j...@joea.com
Joe attaching a picture of Ian's split two piece fiberglass Chief nosebowl. Neat.
--
colie pitts

Cowlings.jpg

colie pitts

unread,
May 11, 2016, 7:26:28 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Mark you need at least one impulse coupled mag to start on . most have two. I have one impulsed bendix and one non- impulse bendix and my Chief starts one pull, 99/100 times on the left mag only.   McDowell sold after market  McDowell kits for $ 82.50 and they furnished  one impulse mag with a trade in
--
colie pitts

j...@joea.com

unread,
May 11, 2016, 7:32:28 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Very nice Colie. Any idea on a price?

Joe A

colie pitts

unread,
May 11, 2016, 7:35:13 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu, j...@joea.com
Don'know Joe He said it came with his project Chief
--
colie pitts

Bruce Snider

unread,
May 11, 2016, 7:49:30 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
John, can't say I ever flew on of those.  That 0.25 had to hurt!  

I watched a guy once get bit twice in a row by a Fox 35, lots of blood, and then he spilled fuel on the cuts!  Lots of jumping around and colorful words  for the next 5 min.  I guess that is  why I am so careful when I prop the Champ. (Gloves, 2 Chocks, Tail tied down, lock on the throttle.....)

Best Regards, Bruce

Ian Harvie

unread,
May 11, 2016, 8:30:32 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Yes,

That was about the only thing the previous owner had done towards a
rebuild when I bought it. looks very good on the plane and very easy to
take off. Dzus fasteners at the back of the top piece, and 10-32 screws
into the boot cowl round the bottom piece. I cut a hinged flap which is
flush fitting and held with Dzus fasteners for access to the oil. That
is the only difficult bit, I have a plastic funnel with a very long
spout to top up the oil. Not sure if I could fit a McDowell though with
that cowling, only thing I had was the handle and I gave that to Jody
Witmeyer many years ago. (What happened to Jody?)

Ian

On 12/05/2016 9:34 AM, colie pitts wrote:
> Don'know Joe He said it came with his project Chief
>

> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 7:32 PM, <j...@joea.com <mailto:j...@joea.com>>

Duane Fey

unread,
May 11, 2016, 9:04:49 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Collie,

My chief has some stuff in place.  A bracket and pulley in the cabin and the hole in the firewall.  Not sure about anything else, because I’ve never looked into it.  I’d be interested, depending on the cost.

Thanks,

Duane
’46 Chief, N85981

Duane Fey

unread,
May 11, 2016, 9:06:34 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
That’s cool!

Duane
’46 Chief, N85981


<Cowlings.jpg>_______________________________________________

j...@joea.com

unread,
May 11, 2016, 9:14:41 PM5/11/16
to Ian Harvie, aer...@westmont.edu
Ian,

Jody kinda went underground for a while but has now surfaced. He has retired from the
Police force and moved South to the hills. Is in Tenn or Kentucky or that area of the country
the last I heard.

If you are on the Facebook page for the NAA he is back and posting there. Otherwise I can
get an email for him if you wish...

Joe A

On 12 May 2016 at 10:27, Ian Harvie wrote:

> Yes,
>
> That was about the only thing the previous owner had done towards a
> rebuild when I bought it. looks very good on the plane and very easy to
> take off. Dzus fasteners at the back of the top piece, and 10-32 screws
> into the boot cowl round the bottom piece. I cut a hinged flap which is
> flush fitting and held with Dzus fasteners for access to the oil. That
> is the only difficult bit, I have a plastic funnel with a very long
> spout to top up the oil. Not sure if I could fit a McDowell though with
> that cowling, only thing I had was the handle and I gave that to Jody
> Witmeyer many years ago. (What happened to Jody?)
>
> Ian

colie pitts

unread,
May 11, 2016, 9:59:22 PM5/11/16
to aer...@westmont.edu
Duane, I will let you know when we get some numbers together

David Hoover

unread,
Aug 18, 2026, 3:48:12 PMAug 18
to fearless Aeronca Aviators

I am looking for a McDowell starter ring for a flange shaft.  I have an A65 but am installing a C85 motor and need the different ring gear.  Anybody have one?

Dave

Richard Murray

unread,
Aug 18, 2026, 5:09:02 PMAug 18
to aer...@westmont.edu, fearless Aeronca Aviators
I may have that ring. For the life of me I can't recall the difference and Tom Roush explained it when we annualed Collie Pitts Chief after his death eight years ago this month.

Richard in OH feeling old and ready for winter.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "fearless Aeronca Aviators" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to f-aa+uns...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/f-aa/e940ecca-209d-446e-954f-c7ecdfe34de1n%40googlegroups.com.

--
fearless Aeronca Aviators mailing list
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to aeronca+u...@westmont.edu.

Richard Murray

unread,
Aug 18, 2026, 5:17:45 PMAug 18
to aer...@westmont.edu, fearless Aeronca Aviators
You gotta love AI

Ask the correct question and viola the answer appears instantly. 

Richard in OH who is going to check if his ratchet wheel is deep or shallow and 3/8 or 5l8 holes. The flange rachet is deep with 5/8 holes and the taper shaft is shallow with 3/8 holes

On Tue, Aug 18, 2026, 15:48 David Hoover <hoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Richard Murray

unread,
Aug 21, 2026, 9:36:57 PMAug 21
to aer...@westmont.edu, fearless Aeronca Aviators
Dave

Apologies life got in the way of my getting to the hangar.

I have two ring gears and they are both for a flange shaft.

Email me your shipping address off line and I'll post this off to you. Send me the taper shaft ring gear you no longer need or what $ you value the flange gear at.

Richard in OH murra...@gmail.com in case you haven't figured out how to copy addresses from John's list.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2026, 15:48 David Hoover <hoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Richard Murray

unread,
Aug 22, 2026, 9:09:21 AMAug 22
to aer...@westmont.edu, fearless Aeronca Aviators, hoo...@gmail.com




On Fri, Aug 21, 2026, 21:36 Richard Murray <murra...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dave

Apologies life got in the way of my getting to the hangar.

I have two ring gears and they are both for a flange shaft.

Email me your shipping address off line and I'll post this off to you. Send me the taper shaft ring gear you no longer need or what $ you value the flange gear at.

Richard in OH murra...@gmail.com in case you haven't figured out how to copy addresses from John's list.

David Hoover

unread,
Aug 23, 2026, 4:18:39 PMAug 23
to fearless Aeronca Aviators
Oh thank you for looking.  The Flange shaft ring has an offset between the teeth and the prop hub.  maybe 2 inches.  The tapered shaft ring is flat no offset.

David Hoover

unread,
Aug 23, 2026, 4:39:38 PMAug 23
to fearless Aeronca Aviators
Thanks for asking for me!  Does he have it and want to part with it?  Thanks Dave.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages