轉發: Google Code-in -- 鼓勵中學生(13-17歲)參與開源社區的比賽

Qian Hong

Oct 17, 2011, 4:42:35 PM10/17/11
to ezg...@googlegroups.com
以下是從Google Code官方博客看到的消息,我想這個消息對於任何開源社區都是好消息,轉發到ezgo社區來,相信有很多老師感興趣的 ^_^
如果有一綫的老師幫忙推廣,那麼將會有更多的開源社區和學生受益.

大概2005年開始,Google發佈了一個活動,叫做Google Summer of Code, Google代碼夏令營,
這個活動的目的就是鼓勵學生(主要是大學生)參與開源軟件項目的開發.
在GSoC中, Google和全球數百個開源軟件社區合作,由開源軟件的資深開發者擔任導師,指導學生進行爲期3個月的編程.
多年來GSoC取得了非常可喜的成就,許多參與GSoC的學生在活動結束之後成爲了開源項目的長期貢獻者,其中相當大的一部分後來又成爲GSoC的導師指導更年輕的學生.
最近3,4年,平均每年有1000名左右來自全球各地的學生參與GSoC.

GSoC爲培養開源軟件開發者提供了一個溫牀,但是我們都知道,一個成功的開源項目需要的不僅僅是優秀的開發者,還需要文檔編寫者,需要測試者,需要宣傳營銷,需要翻譯,需要用戶界面設計...
在以往的GSoC中,也有人諮詢到,GSoC項目是否接受文檔編寫之類的項目申請,但是這與GSoC的目標是不符的.爲了解決這個問題,GSoC的團隊另外創建了一個活動,就是下面將介紹的
Google Code-in. Google Code-in 是繼Google Summer of Code 之後, Google
發起的另一個鼓勵學生參與開源項目的活動. 與GSoC不同的是, Google
Code-in不僅鼓勵學生爲開源項目寫代碼,還鼓勵學生寫文檔,營銷,QA,做研究,培訓新用戶,翻譯,改進用戶界面設計等等.

個人認爲, Google Code-in基本上已經把一個成功且流行的開源軟件所需要的方方面面都包含了.也許若干年後,Google
Code-in培養出來的人才能夠給開源社區的生態結構帶來突變,那個時候我們可能就有機會看到開源桌面操作系統成爲主流了.

今年是第二屆Google Code-in 比賽.
Google Code-in 的官方网站: http://www.google-melange.com/gci/homepage/google/gci2011

在學生中推廣宣傳Google Code-in, 還需要辛苦各位老師了! 以下是全文轉發:
==================
Google Code-in: Are you in?
from Google Code - Updates by Scott Knaster

By Carol Smith, Google Code-in Program Manager, Open Source Team

Cross-posted from the Google Open Source Blog

Listen up, future coders of the world: today we’re launching the
second annual Google Code-in competition, an open source development
contest for 13-17 year old students around the world. The purpose of
the Google Code-in competition is to give students everywhere an
opportunity to explore the world of open source development. We not
only run open source software throughout our business, we also value
the way the open source model encourages people to work together on
shared goals over the Internet.

Open source development involves much more than just computer
programming, and the Google Code-in competition reflects that by
having lots of different tasks to choose from. We organize the tasks
into eight major categories:

1. Code: Writing or refactoring code
2. Documentation: Creating and editing documents
3. Outreach: Community management and outreach, as well as marketing
4. Quality Assurance: Testing and ensuring code is of high quality
5. Research: Studying a problem and recommending solutions
6. Training: Helping others learn more
7. Translation: Localization (adapting code to your region and language)
8. User interface: User experience research or user interface design
and interaction

On November 9, we’ll announce the participating mentoring
organizations. Mentoring organizations are open source software
organizations chosen from a pool of applicants who have participated
in our Google Summer of Code program in the past. Last year we had 20
organizations participate.

Last year’s competition drew 361 participating students from 48
countries, who worked for two months on a wide variety of
brain-teasing tasks ranging from coding to video editing, all in
support of open source software. In January, we announced the 14 grand
prize winners, who we flew to our headquarters in Mountain View,
California to enjoy a day talking to Google engineers and learning
what it’s like to work at Google, and another day enjoying the
northern California sights and sun.

Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page on the Google Code-in site
for more details on how to sign up and participate. Our goal this year
is to have even more pre-university students in the contest than last
time around, so help us spread the word, too.

Stay tuned to the contest site and subscribe to our mailing list for
more updates on the contest. The Google Code-in contest starts on
November 21, 2011, and we look forward to seeing the clever and
creative ways all of the participants tackle their open source
challenges.

Carol Smith is Google Code-in Program Manager, Open Source Team
=================

--
Regards,
Qian Hong

Max

Oct 18, 2011, 12:03:28 AM10/18/11
to ezg...@googlegroups.com
感謝 Qian Hong:

馬上來研究 + 轉發

Best regards

Max

Qian Hong

Oct 19, 2011, 2:38:01 PM10/19/11
to ezg...@googlegroups.com
冒昧請教一下各位老師,如果有一個專門爲教師定製的Google Code-in活動,各位老師會感興趣嗎?

我的想法是這樣的:許多老師對開源軟件十分感興趣,也非常樂意向學生介紹開源,然而,並不是每個老師都有親身參加開源社區工作的體驗。我相信,無論是學生和老師,都有可能從開源社區中學習到有用的東西。由於不是每個老師都有很強的計算機背景,所以對於大多數老師來說,直接以寫代碼的形式參與開源軟件開發是不太現實的,這可能是阻礙老師們直接參與開源軟件一綫工作的門檻。而Google
Code-in這樣的活動,正好可以幫助我們以各種各樣不同的形式參與開源的建設,它涉及的範圍極廣,無論技術基礎如何,無論什麼專業背景,都有可能找到最能發揮自己專長的貢獻方式。更妙的是,一個參與過Google
Code-in活動的老師,在下一屆的Code-in活動中,剛好可以當學生們的導師。這個時候,那些專業於計算機無關的老師,不僅沒有劣勢,反而可能會有意想不到的優勢,因爲他們多元化的背景會幫助他們引導學生從多角度思考問題,這將給開源社區帶來無窮的可能性,注入新的生機。想象一下,一個音樂老師,或者文學老師,或者美術老師,或者法律老師,如果他/她將專長恰到好處地發揮在開源軟件上,那將會帶來多麼不可估量的影響,更不用說這些老師培養出來的一代代學生們了。

爲了讓我的設想能夠多一點點實現的可能性,我向Google Code-in團隊提出了我的建議,同時也把我的想法跟各位老師請教,非常期待聽到老師們的看法!
如果有哪位老師對這個設想感興趣,不妨一起關注Google Code-in官方論壇中的郵件「1」,Google
Code-in團隊成員已經有了初步的回應,我們也可以在那邊一起進一步討論。

謝謝!

「1」 [Suggestion]What about Google Code-in for teachers?
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/gci-discuss/o8lLcl66S1k

依瑪貓

Oct 19, 2011, 3:12:31 PM10/19/11
to EzGo軍師團