Another EZDUAL Question for Evan, cyclebrain, or others

TedS

May 16, 2007, 12:40:02 PM5/16/07
to EZDAC Builders
Hi guys,

I'm finishing up my EZDUAL and need to decide how to feed it. Evan
gave me the part number for the wall-wart he used, but I also see that
cyclebrain used a transformer. So my question is, how much harder/
more expensive is it to use a transformer? What specs would be
required, and where do you get one?

Thanks,
Ted

ezkcdude

May 16, 2007, 1:57:40 PM5/16/07
to EZDAC Builders

Ted, I think any transformer with 15VAC/1A (or higher) rating would be
fine. Search digikey for amveco, tamura, or hammond. Here's an amveco
(digikey#: TE62053-ND). As for connecting it, I'm not the person to
ask. Dealing with high voltage still scares me a little, so I haven't
used a transformer. Obviously, though, the ezdual can utilize it.

TedS

May 16, 2007, 9:43:31 PM5/16/07
to EZDAC Builders
Thanks for the info and for pointing me to a part #. Fortunately, I
work with some electrical engineers who can help me with the hookup
questions. Since this isn't much more than the wall-wart, I may give
it a go. I'll run it past my co-workers and see what they say.

Thanks,
Ted

cyclebrain

May 18, 2007, 1:10:05 AM5/18/07
to EZDAC Builders
A wall wart can be a transformer. Some wall warts have an AC output
and some have a DC output.
One must make sure that the rectified output from the wall wart or
transformer feeding the input of the regulator is more then 3volts
higher in RMS value then the DC output of the regulator that it is
feeding.
I originally tried to order a wall wart transformer but was not able
to get one with both the current and voltage I wanted.

TedS

May 18, 2007, 11:03:49 AM5/18/07
to EZDAC Builders
That's helpful info, cyclebrain. Thanks! What transformer did you
use for your EZDUAL/EZDAC kit?