The code for AGI will be simple

John Clark

Sep 8, 2022, 8:02:16 AM9/8/22
to extro...@googlegroups.com
This is an interview of the great computer programmer John Carmack, he thinks the time when computers can do everything, not just some things, as good or better than humans is much closer than most people believe, he thinks there is a 60% chance it will happen by 2030. Like me Carmack is much more interested in intelligence than consciousness and has no interest in the "philosophical zombie" argument. As far as the future history of the human race is concerned the following quotation is particularly relevant:

"It seems to me this is the highest leverage moment for a single individual potentially in the history of the world. [...]  I am not a mad man in saying that the code for artificial General intelligence is going to be tens of thousands of lines of code, not millions of lines of code. This is code that conceivably one individual could write, unliker writing a new web browser or operating system."

Lawrence Crowell

Sep 10, 2022, 8:39:21 PM9/10/22
to extropolis
The code will be that length in some high level coding language.

There seems to be little asking the question, "What is all of this for?" An AI or AGI, whether conscious or not, that reduces humans to indolence does not seem like a good idea. If the AGI is mindless, say a mindless golem of sorts, then the whole thing seems utterly purposeless. If the system has some intentionality, or say a type of sentience that makes it capable of self-reference and actualization, then this could be very disturbing.

A brother of mine retired early from working as a programmer. He wrote the codes involved with barcoding, such as what we see at the store etc, and other things. He cannot help talk about computers without f-bombs. He is convinced all of this is heading into a disaster.

LC