Recommended System Requirements (hardware server, OS)

Bob H

Feb 2, 2010, 2:19:34 PM2/2/10
to The eXtensible Catalog, bhol...@tulsacc.edu
For the purposes of budgeting I have been working to detemine costs to
implement XC here at Tulsa Community College. I have been looking for
any systems or system capacity recommendaations which understandably
could vary widely from place to place. None the less, I need to find
some sort of minimum or ballpark suggestions for acquiring a server,
operating system (I think we may prefer Windows Server), CPU, RAM, and
disk with room to grow. A recommendations or "food for thought" that
can be offered would be most appreciated!!!

Although financial situations are incredibly tight in most locales if
not even worse, some high priority projects are being considered here
and may be funded. One of these projects, according to our Dean, is a
Discovery System for the Learning Resources Centers (LRCs - we are a
four campus large metropolitan college. We are a Voyager ILS site, and
we are also a customer of some Serials Solutions 360 services, so XC
appears to be an exciting and affordable alternative to the very
pricey discovery systems on the market. But, XC does need a platform
for its software, user load, and database, and thus soem costs will
need to be planned.

Randy

Feb 3, 2010, 5:09:20 PM2/3/10
to The eXtensible Catalog
Hi Bob,

Just wanted to drop you a note. Unfortunately we can't answer system
requirements yet, for several reasons. One thing is that our software
is not completed yet and there will be more changes coming. For
example, we know that our MST services do not function quickly enough
for production use, even on powerful servers. We have several ideas
we are exploring to address this and we are working to solve those
issues. Then we can do some testing on larger data sets and then have
some benchmarks to share, but we don't have them at this time.

I can suggest that the new screen casts we just released might be
helpful from an overview and "interconnectedness" perspective (meaning
several pieces of software installed). The link is
http://www.screencast.com/users/eXtensibleCatalog

Bob H

Feb 4, 2010, 5:23:02 PM2/4/10
to The eXtensible Catalog
Thank you for the info. I understand fully that to dervice spec and
capacity requirements are hard if not impossible to predict when in
development. I started to watch the screen casts and noted the design
in modules (the four components), so to speak. Do you know at this
time if several separate servers or blades for the different
components may be used, sort of like a cluster but working in tandem,
so that the load and function may resider separately and one can begin
to build with one server and if another piece of hardware is necessary
it can be added rather that replace the first. Such modularization may
enable us to get started with the components that are ready and expand
by adding servers or blades and other xC components as available and
needed.