interrelation of EX standards

James Fuller

Apr 16, 2009, 6:10:42 AM4/16/09
to exquer...@googlegroups.com
I have included a simple diagram to show how the recent EX standard efforts (EXQuery, EXPath, EXSLT v2, EXProc) might relate to each other.

I think we may want to consider a meta page that is included on both existing EXQuery and EXPath sites to be able to navigate ... or maybe a simple top level series of links to each standard.

as I see Norm has joined our merry band, I think it may make sense to link there and perhaps have the same licensing across all EX standards.

cheers, Jim Fuller
exclover.jpg

Adam Retter

Apr 16, 2009, 7:26:33 AM4/16/09
to EXQuery Open
> I have included a simple diagram to show how the recent EX standard efforts
> (EXQuery, EXPath, EXSLT v2, EXProc) might relate to each other.

Looks good :-)

> I think we may want to consider a meta page that is included on both
> existing EXQuery and EXPath sites to be able to navigate ... or maybe a
> simple top level series of links to each standard.

Yes I think some information is needed on each site about relationship
to other EX* projects, I will add some details to the function
libraries part of EXQuery later today.

> as I see Norm has joined our merry band, I think it may make sense to link
> there and perhaps have the same licensing across all EX standards.

Yes, I agree. I had originally chosen the Creative Commons Attribution-
No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License for EXQuery because I thought
that after studying the licencing terms and ethoses for several well
known licences that it fitted best to an open and collaborative
approach for standards. I am open to revisiting this discussion if
people wish to. However, I have not yet seen any mention of licencing
or related subjects such as attribution mentioned on EXPath website. I
feel that this is an important subject that should be tackled sooner
rather than later...

James Fuller

Apr 16, 2009, 7:34:00 AM4/16/09
to exquer...@googlegroups.com
2009/4/16 Adam Retter <adam....@exquery.org>

> I have included a simple diagram to show how the recent EX standard efforts
> (EXQuery, EXPath, EXSLT v2, EXProc) might relate to each other.

Looks good :-)

> I think we may want to consider a meta page that is included on both
> existing EXQuery and EXPath sites to be able to navigate ... or maybe a
> simple top level series of links to each standard.

Yes I think some information is needed on each site about relationship
to other EX* projects, I will add some details to the function
libraries part of EXQuery later today.

sounds good ... I think some words that would help govern what is in any particular standard would help.

for example whats the rule of thumb for choosing if a module goes into EXPath or EXQuery ? Florent's http-client is a great example of functionality that could just as easily live in either, but since I would assume that EXQuery will include expath it is a moot point ... dynamic module loading or xquery serialization is clearly XQuery specific.

> as I see Norm has joined our merry band, I think it may make sense to link
> there and perhaps have the same licensing across all EX standards.

Yes, I agree. I had originally chosen the Creative Commons Attribution-
No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License for EXQuery because I thought
that after studying the licencing terms and ethoses for several well
known licences that it fitted best to an open and collaborative
approach for standards. I am open to revisiting this discussion if
people wish to. However, I have not yet seen any mention of licencing
or related subjects such as attribution mentioned on EXPath website. I
feel that this is an important subject that should be tackled sooner
rather than later...

+1 to the choice of license

ta, J