Forwarding message by Jim Melton (XQuery WG chair)

Benjamin Nguyen

Jun 10, 2009, 1:15:43 PM6/10/09
to exquer...@googlegroups.com
Gentlepeople,

Liam Quin, the W3C Staff Contact for the W3C XML Query WG and the W3C
XSL WG, forwarded to the WGs a note that he received from James
Fuller. James made us aware of the EXQuery and EXPath projects,
suggesting that the WGs might wish to consider how those projects
could enhance the value of the WGs' work.

The WGs were pleased to learn of the projects' existence and asked
Liam and me to put in place a way that we can collaborate within the
W3C structure under which we must operate. To this end, Liam plans
to create a new "Interest Group" public mailing list on the W3C
servers to which we hope participants interested in XQuery/EXQuery
and XPath/EXPath will subscribe. We expect that most, or all, WG
members will subscribe to that IG list. This seems to us to provide
a good mechanism through which the two projects and the two WGs can
collaborate and communicate openly.

As soon as the mailing list has been established, we will announce it
more widely (including, of course, these two project lists).

Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL) Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Chair, W3C XML Query WG; XQX (etc.) editor Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA Personal email: jim at melton dot name
= Facts are facts. But any opinions expressed are the opinions =
= only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody =
= else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand. =

Florent Georges

Jun 10, 2009, 5:21:49 PM6/10/09
to exquer...@googlegroups.com
2009/6/10 Benjamin Nguyen wrote:

Hi Jim, Benjamin,

> To this end, Liam plans to create a new "Interest Group" public
> mailing list on the W3C servers to which we hope participants
> interested in XQuery/EXQuery and XPath/EXPath will subscribe.
> We expect that most, or all, WG members will subscribe to that
> IG list. This seems to us to provide a good mechanism through
> which the two projects and the two WGs can collaborate and
> communicate openly.

I am glad to read the interest the WGs bear at those projects.

However, I am a bit concerned about dispersing good will by
creating a new list yet. I think federating all people among
our communities is a key point for the success of the new EX*
projects, as it has been for the original EXSLT project. But
maybe that's just the way the consortium does work.

Anyway, I am sure that's going to be a useful collaboration
and I hope we'll have interesting discussions soon, here or
there.

Regards,

--
Florent Georges
http://www.fgeorges.org/

Adam Retter

Jun 10, 2009, 5:28:56 PM6/10/09
to exquer...@googlegroups.com
I think this is excellent news, it would seem like a more official and
open channel for the XQuery and XPath community(s) to interact with
the W3C :-)

A big well done to Jim Fuller.

2009/6/10 Benjamin Nguyen <benjie...@gmail.com>:
--
Adam Retter

EXQuery Founder
t: +44 (0)7714 330069
e: adam....@exquery.org
w: www.exquery.org

James Fuller

Jun 15, 2009, 3:15:31 AM6/15/09
to exquer...@googlegroups.com
great news,

Adam, Florent any chance of getting together (perhaps via skype or irc) to discuss more in full.

cheers, Jim