Can I use expyriment in Jupyter notebook?

hyoseok BANG

Aug 11, 2017, 9:32:42 PM8/11/17
to expyriment-users
Hi, I just get started to learn expyriment to set up my psychology experiment.

What I'm trying to do is using expyriment in Jupyter notebook, but the package doesn't seem to work on it.

I can import and use expyriment on a plain python console, which means the package was successfully installed.

But when I try to use it on Jupyter, import doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to solve my problem?

Christophe Pallier

Aug 12, 2017, 2:52:13 AM8/12/17
to expyrime...@googlegroups.com
expyriment is meant to display visual stimuli using the fullscreen,
althought you can launch it in a window for debugging purposes.
Either way, it does not really make sense to use it from a jupyter
notebook. You should rather use a text editor -- e.g. atom -- or and
IDE like spyder to write your script.

Best regards,

--
Christophe Pallier

Personal web site: http://www.pallier.org
Lab web site: http://www.unicog.org
Email: chris...@pallier.org
Tel: +33 (0) 1 69 08 79 34

Address:
INSERM-CEA Cognitive Neuroimaging Lab, Neurospin, bat 145,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, FRANCE

Florian Krause

Aug 12, 2017, 7:23:28 AM8/12/17
to expyrime...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

What is the error you get on import in Jupyter?

Best,
Florian

hyoseok BANG

Aug 12, 2017, 9:10:21 AM8/12/17
to expyriment-users
It just says the module does not exist.

Expyriment works on plain Python IDE or other editors like Sublime text, but it seems expyriment does not work in conda exvironment (Jupyter, Spyder).

Plus, I tried to install expyriment uisng conda install, not pip, but conda couldn't find the package.

2017년 8월 12일 토요일 오후 8시 23분 28초 UTC+9, Florian Krause 님의 말:

On 12 Aug 2017 03:32, "hyoseok BANG" <hyose...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I just get started to learn expyriment to set up my psychology experiment.

What I'm trying to do is using expyriment in Jupyter notebook, but the package doesn't seem to work on it.

I can import and use expyriment on a plain python console, which means the package was successfully installed.

But when I try to use it on Jupyter, import doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to solve my problem?

Florian Krause

Aug 12, 2017, 11:25:05 AM8/12/17
to expyrime...@googlegroups.com
It seems that you want to use a different Python distribution in Jupyter notebook than the one you installed Expyriment in (and then one you use from the other editors, where importing Expyriment works). Just installing Expyriment in this other Python distribution that you want to use with Jupyter as well should fix the problem. Expyriment is not available via any conda repositories, it needs to be installed with PIP (which is fully compatible to conda though, as far as I know).

Best,
Florian

www.fladd.de - Homepage of Florian Krause