need help

K.Muthumari B.Sc(Ag)., M.Sc(ICT-ARD)

Dec 13, 2009, 12:49:25 PM12/13/09
to Expense Reports
Hi.,
I am using expensify for the past six months. I was trying this month
expense reports. I sent mail four times yesterday since i uploaded
some wrong bills. More I wanted to upload some bills.I tried for fifth
time I couldnot send mails to rece...@expensify.com. there was some
failure delivery message. Now what would be solution tosend my
receipts to my expensify A/c?? Can you please help me to fix out this
problem?? or to whom I contact to fix out this issue??

rece...@expensify.com
Technical details of permanent failure:
Message rejected. Please visit http://www.google.com/mail/help/bulk_mail.html
to review our Bulk Email Senders Guidelines.
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:32:16 +0530
Subject: b
From: K Muthumari <muth...@digitalgreen.org>
To: receipts <rece...@expensify.com>

David Barrett

Dec 13, 2009, 1:29:43 PM12/13/09
to expense...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thanks for posting this. For the fastest support, please write
he...@expensify.com. However, for this particular problem I'd welcome
some community involvement:

We've had a couple other users report this problem, but we're entirely
unable to reproduce it ourselves. So far as we can tell, Google (who we
use for spam filtering) is rejecting your mail as spam. But I have no
idea why that would be the case, as after all, it allows you to email
this list (and I suspect it'll allow you to mail me) just fine.

Regardless, can you please write he...@expensify.com so your issue gets
logged in the proper channels and we can take care of it?

Sorry for the inconvenience; we're as flustered on this as you are!

-david

David Barrett

Dec 13, 2009, 2:23:37 PM12/13/09
to expense...@googlegroups.com
Aha, I think I've identified the culprit: SPF. Check out this line of
the bounced email:

of muth...@digitalgreen.org does not designate 209.85.222.175 as
permitted sender) smtp.mail=muth...@digitalgreen.org

Past emails were being flagged with "fail", but this one is flagged with
"hardfail", which triggers the Google bounce message.

So I'm *guessing* this has something to do with the sending domain's SPF
records, which is why we've been unable to reproduce it, and why it's
only affected a few users. Doing a "dig digitalgreen.org any" brings up
the following SPF results:

digitalgreen.org. 3225 IN TXT "v=spf1 include:hotmail.com ~all"
digitalgreen.org. 3225 IN TXT "v=spf1 include:hotmail.com -all"

I think there's only supposed to be one entry. Furthermore, this
article explicitly warns against using "-" instead of "~" in the SPF
settings:

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=33786

This SPF checker reaffirms the problem:

http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html

Accordingly, my guess is there's some general problem with the SPF
configuration on the digitalgreen.org domain, and that this is causing
it to behave erratically. This might be combined with perhaps
hotmail.com changing IP addresses (or having a dynamic set of IPs) such
that the IP address used to send the mail is not the same IP address the
Google servers find when they do the reverse DNS lookup on hotmail.com.

Anyway, food for thought. Can you please send this email to your domain
administrator (whoever set up the SPF record in the first place) to
review it?

Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience!

-david