Adding file module without packaging system and correct function signature for file:list

Carlos Araya

Mar 13, 2015, 9:26:58 PM3/13/15
to exp...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon,

I've been trying to use the file module to generate a list of files to further process as part of an ebook toolchain experiment.

I'm hitting a roadblock and I don't know if they are related or how to solve them.

I need to be able to run the file module without the packager:

I'm trying to keep my dependencies to a minimum and the packager is too much work in downloading and installing the packager is beyond what I want my users to do.

Are there instructions for running the modules outside the packager environment??

Thanks,

Carlos

Christian Grün

Mar 14, 2015, 3:42:55 AM3/14/15
to EXPath

Hi Carlos,

Which query processor are you using?

Best,
Christian

Michael Kay

Mar 14, 2015, 5:48:34 AM3/14/15
to exp...@googlegroups.com
Carlos,

The "file module" is a specification, not a product. There are different implementations to go with different XSLT and XQuery processors. You need to tell us which implementation you are using.

Florent Georges

Mar 14, 2015, 6:20:57 AM3/14/15
to EXPath
On 14 March 2015 at 02:26, Carlos Araya wrote:

Hi Carlos,

Let me take your questions in reverse order.

> Are there instructions for running the modules outside the packager
> environment??

As Christian and Mike already said, an EXPath Module is a
specification. It is a document describing a set of functions. There
are several implementations, for several processors. From your
previous email, and as stated in the response:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/expath/5-LXLBqBL7Y/-zgYeq-4EK8J

I assume you use Saxon. There is a native implementation, available
in Saxon versions you have to buy. There is also an open source
implementation, to use with the free version of Saxon:
http://cxan.org/pkg/expath/file-saxon.

The all idea of the packaging system is so a library author does not
have to describe the install procedure for all possible processors
existing on Earth, and for all possible usage, configuration and
environment.

If you want to avoid the packaging, you have to use the JAR inside
the package, and see how to configure Saxon to use it.

> I'm trying to keep my dependencies to a minimum and the packager is too
> much work in downloading and installing the packager is beyond what I want
> my users to do.

An alternative might be to embed it. If you have a Java or .Net
application using Saxon, the packaging system implementation for Saxon
has been designed so you can embed it in your own application.

If it is not a Java or .Net application, but you provide Saxon
bundled with your app, you can pre-install the packaging as well.

Finally, the package manager coming with Saxon, with a shell script
to run it, it might be an solution as well for your users to install
Saxon itself first, then your application and the file extension,
without having to figure out how to run Saxon to invoke your tool
chain.

Just some ideas. Regards,

--
Florent Georges
http://fgeorges.org/

Carlos Araya

Mar 14, 2015, 12:21:52 PM3/14/15
to exp...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dr. Kay and Christian for the clarification and apologies for not being clear enough.

I am using Florian's expath-file package downloaded from github (https://github.com/fgeorges/expath-file-java) and I am working with Saxon  9.6 HE.

My understanding was that get functionality from a jar file to work with Saxon you had to put the jar file on Saxon's classpath and then run net.sf.saxon.Transform. That is not the case.

I will explore the idea of bundling and preinstalling the package manager. That sounds like the best plan

Thanks and apologies for the confusion.

Carlos