Internationalization of EXPath Package titles

Joe Wicentowski

Mar 1, 2017, 11:42:10 AM3/1/17
to exp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Tony Graham raised a good question:

(The eXist community tracker now has an issue assigned to this. See
https://github.com/eXist-db/exist/issues/1306.)

Of the two possibilities Tony suggests:

- allow multiple <title> elements with different @xml:lang
- allow a new element inside <title> which would contain the
language-specific titles

Which would be most desirable?

Joe

Joe Wicentowski

Jan 30, 2019, 1:22:47 PM1/30/19
to exp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'd like to open a discussion about improving the EXPath Package spec [1], which is used widely in the eXist community [2].  Several areas are in need of improvement, from my perspective:

- The current version was written before Semantic Versioning 2.0 [3] was released and should be updated to align with this standard.
- Dependency versioning constraints should be more flexible and expressive, accommodating notions like those used in other package managers like npm's "semver" [4].
- The current spec has no support for internationalization. It should be extended to support language-specific package titles, for example.

The spec would then need to be implemented.

On a somewhat related note, I have started an XQuery library for parsing, comparing, and sorting SemVer 2.0 version strings [5].  If there is interest, it could be developed into a library that itself is distributed as an EXPath Package.

I would welcome your ideas as well as suggestions about how to approach this spec revision!

Best,
Joe