fsck - repair functionality

Andreas Bexell

Mar 11, 2014, 9:36:15 AM3/11/14
to ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The version of fsck that this project implements does not have any repair functionality, and as I understand it, this is by design.

Are there any plans to implement such functionality? Are there any reasons not to implement them?

Thank you!

Best regards
Andreas Bexell

Andrew Nayenko

Mar 12, 2014, 2:41:46 PM3/12/14
to andreas...@gmail.com, ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andreas,

> The version of fsck that this project implements does not have any repair functionality, and as I understand it, this is by design.

It's mostly because of the lack of manpower. Currently libexfat performs some base checks of on-disk structures while it reads directories and files. Fsck just uses this side-effect. Obviously fsck needs another approach to be able to repair FS. It's quite complex and interesting task.

> Are there any plans to implement such functionality?

Not in the foreseeable future I'm afraid. I'm very busy now.

> Are there any reasons not to implement them?

The only reason I see is possible incompleteness of my knowledge about exFAT. Since all info had been obtained using reverse engineering it's hardly possible to guarantee that this info is complete.