filename encoding problems on ubuntu 12.04.4 / exfat 1.0.1

thilo....@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2014, 9:18:58 AM2/26/14
to ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've setup exFAT using the PPA and everything seems to work quite well. But recently I noticed I can not create files containing "?" etc.
I tried to mount using all possible iocharset and nls options and utf8,utf16 combinations like:

mount -t exfat /dev/sdc2 /media/usb2 -o uid=1000,gid=1000,nls=utf8,dmask=027,fmask=137

but nothing seems to work..

Anyone noticed something similar?

Regards

Andrew Nayenko

Feb 26, 2014, 12:05:10 PM2/26/14
to ex...@googlegroups.com, thilo....@gmail.com
Hi,

> I've setup exFAT using the PPA and everything seems to work quite well. But
> recently I noticed I can not create files containing "?" etc.

This was made intentionally for compatibility with Windows.

> I tried to mount using all possible iocharset and nls options

fuse-exfat does not support iocharset or nls options. It always uses
UTF-16 internally and UTF-8 externally.

--
Andrew Nayenko <res...@gmail.com>

Thilo Leibelt

Feb 27, 2014, 4:18:42 AM2/27/14
to Andrew Nayenko, ex...@googlegroups.com
> Hi,
>
>> I've setup exFAT using the PPA and everything seems to work quite well.
>> But
>> recently I noticed I can not create files containing "?" etc.
>

> This was made intentionally for compatibility with Windows.

Ok. Is there a list of characters to avoid somewhere?

Regards

Stephan Aßmus

Feb 27, 2014, 4:46:09 AM2/27/14
to ex...@googlegroups.com
You can google this information, search for example for "file names
characters to avoid".

This won't give you the definite list implemented in the exfat module,
but it may be even more helpful if you care which characters to avoid
for cross platform compatibility, in case exfat doesn't avoid all of them...

Best regards,
-Stephan

Andrew Nayenko

Feb 27, 2014, 12:13:43 PM2/27/14
to Thilo Leibelt, ex...@googlegroups.com
>>> I've setup exFAT using the PPA and everything seems to work quite
>>> well. But recently I noticed I can not create files containing
>>> "?" etc.
>>
>> This was made intentionally for compatibility with Windows.
>
> Ok. Is there a list of characters to avoid somewhere?

I took the list of prohibited characters from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
If you wish to look at code the filter is in is_allowed() function.

--
Andrew Nayenko <res...@gmail.com>