Replacement ISP for current ExecPC, Voyager, CoreComm customers?

Phil Pucci

Aug 12, 2001, 10:49:35 PM8/12/01
Replacement ISP for current ExecPC, Voyager, CoreComm customers?

On behalf of several dozen businesses in the
Ameritech region who are currently serviced
by CoreComm.com (formerly ExecPC.com
& Voyager.net), we are preparing succession
plans in case of a possible service interruption.

These current business customers are currently
holding Internet accounts for a combination of
typical modem and ISDN dial-up accounts and,
in a few cases, dedicated ISDN connections.

We would like to include local/regional providers
(Ameritech / Great Lakes region including WI,
IL, IN, MI, OH) as well as USA carriers with
extensive coverage in this region that have
significant coverage (local POP's) of the
major cities and their surrounding communities
(maximum commuting radius).

I am very interested in learning what you, the
Milwaukee/Madison/ExecPC/Voyager.net
subscribers would recommend.

Have you made a similar transition?

How does your new service compare
to the service from CoreComm a/k/a
ExecPC a/k/a Voyager.net?

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance,

pdp

Pierre Aterianus

Aug 13, 2001, 11:26:42 PM8/13/01
Phil,

I went from ExecPC to PeoplePC since I could get unlimited access for
$10/month at approximately 43kbps versus the 30kbps I was getting from
ExecPC. I then went to Ameritech DSL since it was only $40/month and I
didn't have to pay for a second phone line. Now I'm afraid I may have to
pay $50/month after my annual contract expires. I am looking into TDS
Metrocom now since I am not a big fan of either Ameritech or AOL/TimeWarner.
I know the Bells an AOL are making it virtually impossible for anyone to
offer a competitive service.
In regards to my experience with Ameritech, once past the initial
installation and setup hurdles my service has been virtually trouble free
and I have had no need of technical support in the last 6 months or more.
Pierre Aterianus

"Phil Pucci" <pdp...@execpc.com> wrote in message

Phil Pucci

Aug 14, 2001, 5:45:08 PM8/14/01
Pierre,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The benefits offered by Ameritech would be
that they could offer businesses both dial-up
(modem & ISDN) and dedicated connections
(xDSL, T-1, fractional T-1, etc.).

Question:

Does Ameritech include dial-up account access
for their residential and/or business DSL customers
for cases where they might be traveling (portable
computers) or if (when <grin>) the DSL line is down?

Thanks in advance,

pdp

"Pierre Aterianus" <ater...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

Jon Arnold

Aug 14, 2001, 8:43:09 PM8/14/01
I use earthlink dsl. It gives me 20 free hours/month for when I'm away
from home. I have never had a problem with them and been with them since
feb.

Scott Berg

Aug 14, 2001, 9:43:20 PM8/14/01
Pardon me for changing the topic slightly, but why are you
so specific about who is shopping around? Is CoreComm,
or whatever they're called this week, in imminent danger
of shutting down, especially in the Milwaukee area?

Scott

Phil Pucci

Aug 15, 2001, 2:54:23 PM8/15/01
"Scott Berg" <ber...@execpc.com> wrote ...

It is not due to any information ("inside" or otherwise)
that leads me to believe that CoreComm is in any
imminent danger of shutting down.

Many of our clients are using ExecPC, Voyager
and CoreComm. Some were adversely affected
by @Link when their financial problems caused
them to abruptly turn-off DSL service earlier this
year. Some others were stranded by other DSL
carriers and ISPs that have failed (i.e., Zyan).

Having a contingency plan for a _potential_ major
service interruptions might make the requisite
transitions a bit smoother (and less expensive).

Since these business customers are currently
using Internet accounts for typical modem and
ISDN access (in a few cases, dedicated ISDN
connections) from CoreComm (if that is still
their name this week) and that these customers
are primarily located in the Ameritech region,
there is interest in service providers that have
extensive coverage in this region.

pdp

Pierre Aterianus

Aug 15, 2001, 10:14:59 PM8/15/01
The dial-up access they have are in Ameritech region, Illinois, Michigan,
Ohio, Indiana, or Wisconsin. I personally don't travel much so I haven't
really had the occasion to use the dial-in other than while I was waiting
for my DSL modem to arrive and it worked fine at that time from home. Since
installing my DSL line I have only used my modem for sending or receiving
faxes.
Pierre

"Phil Pucci" <pdp...@execpc.com> wrote in message

jim dorey

Aug 16, 2001, 12:57:17 AM8/16/01
i've never used execPC as an isp, they don't serve my area, and never did, my
fun with them was to call the bbs, from nova scotia it got a little pricey.

Pierre Aterianus wrote:

--
www.skaar.101main.net from 20:00 to 7:30 AST, ask for free access to the hidden
directories

Scott D. Hansen

Aug 21, 2001, 5:35:45 PM8/21/01
In article <3b799d3c$0$18897$272e...@news.execpc.com>,
pdp...@execpc.com says...

> Pierre,
>
> Thank you for taking the time to respond.
>
> The benefits offered by Ameritech would be
> that they could offer businesses both dial-up
> (modem & ISDN) and dedicated connections
> (xDSL, T-1, fractional T-1, etc.).

TDS MetroComm can offer your customers almost the same (DSL plus phone
lines) as well, at a much better rate.

Scott

Phil Pucci

Aug 22, 2001, 12:19:48 AM8/22/01

"Scott D. Hansen" <sco...@execpc.com> wrote in message

> TDS MetroComm can offer your customers
> almost the same (DSL plus phone lines)
> as well, at a much better rate.
> Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the tip.

Do they offer ISDN BRI's and ISDN dial-up Internet
accounts (some locations are beyond the xDSL distance
limits)?

Thanks again,

pdp

Jim L Cher

Aug 26, 2001, 3:00:31 PM8/26/01

I'm currently using CoreComm...

I recently got a post card notice of a "slight increase in the cost".
It's going from $9.95 a month to $21.95!!
I'd like to give them a 'slight' piece of my mind. I sure won't be
giving them $22 a month!!

Lois and Will

Aug 27, 2001, 1:38:38 PM8/27/01
WOW!

What plan were you on? The 15 hour per week plan?

I am hoping for cable modem service in our area very soon - my subscription
expires the 1st of December and I would like to switch before then.

The past month I have had a lot of trouble with Exec-Pc - busy signals,
dropped connections, and not connecting.

I believe it is time for a change.

"Jim L Cher" <jiml...@megsinet.net> wrote in message

Ron Bean

Aug 28, 2001, 12:09:52 AM8/28/01

"Lois and Will" <som...@microsoft.com> writes:

>The past month I have had a lot of trouble with Exec-Pc - busy signals,
>dropped connections, and not connecting.

I've had some dropped connections and non-connects, but they were
clearly Ameritech's fault-- the error correction light on my
modem was blinking like crazy.

Andrew Kersting

Aug 28, 2001, 9:49:25 AM8/28/01

The company I last worked for had an ISDN account with Execpc. When
Voyager bought them service went kaput and we were forced to switch to a
new ISP. I picked a company in the Milw. area called NetStream. Their
rates were fair. Calls for support are answered by a person. We never
had any problems. Compared to our experience with Execpc after it changed
hands it is a dream.

We were asked to set up an ISDN line in the office the driveway from us
and we chose to use Netstream for them as well.

I don't work there now, but as far as I know there haven't been any
problems with either.

Check their site (netstream.net) for info. I believe they offer a variety
of services.

Another ISP that answers support calls is Aero internet based on the East
Side of Milw. I believe that they also offer a variety of services, and
I've been told that they are a quality operation.

Andy

Scott D. Hansen

Sep 27, 2001, 3:10:16 PM9/27/01
In article <3b83344f$0$18896$272e...@news.execpc.com>,
pdp...@execpc.com says...

Phil,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I don't read this newsgroup
as often as I used to. ;-)

As far as I know, they only offer DSL connections at this time. You may
have looked into this for yourself already by now. ;-)

Scott