TDS Metrocom?

1 view

Phil Pucci

Aug 22, 2001, 12:40:54 AM8/22/01

"James" <damm...@execpcc.com> wrote in message
> > > TDS is quite healthy. Check it out: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=TDS
> > > Good company, good service, still has their hands tied by the ILEC
> > > though (Ameritech). Once it's installed I would think you'll be quite
> > > happy.
> > > I don't personally use them, but I have many friends who do and they
> > > all seem very happy with them.

Doesn't it seem unlikely that a CLEC could ever make a profit
by renting and then reselling an ILEC's cable plant to consumers
at a price lower than the pricing offered by ILEC's to their current
customers? It is not unlike a car rental business, let's call it "Jiffy
Rental Cars" that rent cars from Hertz and then re-rents these
same cars to their customers at a price lower than these customers
could rent them direct from Hertz. If the physical copper line to a
CLEC's customer fails, it is the ILEC that makes the repair.
Using this same analogy, if the car re-rented to a customer fails,
Hertz is called to repair it on behalf of "Jiffy Rental Cars".

pdp

Paul Tomko

Aug 22, 2001, 9:14:37 AM8/22/01
In article <3b833941$0$18889$272e...@news.execpc.com>,

The only way to make money in that way is to have a bulk discount. The CLEC
would buy a whole bunch of lines, then sell them individually to customers.
The CLEC would pay less per line than an individual customer buying one
line from the ILEC.
Even such as it is, it is unlikely the CLEC could make money. Profits
are already tight in the telecom industry, anyone trying to become a middle
man is more than likely just going to lose money.
Paul
--
Paul Tomko pa...@tomkoinc.com http://www.tomkoinc.com
10000+ Humorous Quotes http://www.tomkoinc.com/quotes.html