Anyone in the UK on here?

Mimosa UK

Jul 22, 2018, 6:35:31 AM7/22/18
to Alexithymia Exchange
Hello. I am new on here and from the UK. It’s good to read everyones different experiences with the common thread of emotion. I definitely feel emotion but don’t know how to interpret it so leads me to stress and burnout, as well as not experiencing the highs. I can read other people ok as well so it seems for me it’s all on myself. I would love to know if there is anyone from UK on here as I would like to know experiences with professional help in our UK system or any other experiences within UK system.

Gerry Merrison

Jul 22, 2018, 10:39:33 AM7/22/18
to exchang...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm in the UK.... However, every time I have mentioned alexythmia to a professional, including my own gp, I've always just got a blank look.
Good luck!

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 11:35 Mimosa UK, <lou6...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello. I am new on here and from the UK.  It’s good to read everyones different experiences with the common thread of emotion. I definitely feel emotion but don’t know how to interpret it so leads me to stress and burnout, as well as not experiencing the highs.  I can read other people ok as well so it seems for me it’s all on myself.  I would love to know if there is anyone from UK on here as I would like to know experiences with professional help in our UK system or any other experiences within UK system.

Mimosa UK

Jul 22, 2018, 11:00:31 AM7/22/18
to Alexithymia Exchange
Hi Gerry. Nice to meet you. Thanks for replying....I think that’s the reason I have never mentioned it. Have you taken it beyond GP ?

Gerry Merrison

Jul 22, 2018, 2:31:10 PM7/22/18
to exchang...@googlegroups.com
Well, I've talked about it to counselors at a couple of points in my life, but I can't say that they were any help.

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018, 16:00 Mimosa UK, <lou6...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Gerry. Nice to meet you. Thanks for replying....I think that’s the reason I have never mentioned it. Have you taken it beyond GP ?

Mimosa UK

Jul 22, 2018, 3:13:00 PM7/22/18
to Alexithymia Exchange
Think I must be lucky with my councellor who brought it to my attention. He believes very much in the neuroplasticity of the brain....at any age, and that talking therapy can heal. However, I don’t think anyone is expert in this yet.....I’m hopeful! But have joined this site because I think it ( having Alexithymia) hinders my recovery from trauma by not being able to process stuff. So rather than focussing on trauma I want to now focus on this. I had to go for a private psychotherapist and it’s been a very long time. It is well worth looking into therapy more....different types until you get the right one.