EEG Neurofeedback - Theta/Beta daydreaming

kurokawa8

Dec 20, 2018, 6:17:16 PM12/20/18
to Alexithymia Exchange
I had an interesting experience.  I've been working with a therapist using EEG neurofeedback, a kind of brainwave biofeedback.  We use a tool that employs three electrodes on the head.

I have a tendency towards a very low Theta/Beta ratio.  My therapist advised me to daydream.  I have great difficulty with this, but today I found myself getting carried away with a vision of something.  My therapist got all excited and said THAT'S IT!  THAT'S IT!! WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING RIGHT NOW KEEP DOING IT!!!  I was able to drift for about 20 seconds.  He said my Theta/Beta ratio shot up from the usual 1.2-1.3 all the way up to 2.2.  A big change after 6 months of work.

During that 20 seconds I was daydreaming, but I didn't "drive" the image or "problem-solve".  it just happened on it's own, somehow.  I felt "drawn forward" out of myself and towards the image.  Like I was drawn forward out of superglue?

I felt like I just had a tab of codeine but I didn't?  I felt like I came out of a sleep but not in the usual way. I felt like something in my head had been tweaked.

I think the experience was a form of spontaneous imaging.  I think somehow it was the exact opposite of alexithymia.  Very interesting.

Nick Glover

Dec 21, 2018, 12:54:01 AM12/21/18
to exchang...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Its good  to hear when someone with Alexithymia finds some relief or change, such as bio-feedback, or as I call it using a 'brain zapper'  device .. works like meditation, . . .
not a permanent thing but good all the same; mainly as then the person realizes they can feel differently.  While psychotherapy, with a focus on emotion, is main
way forward, its good to have or rather use various 'adjunct' helpful practices

Magnetic imaging is one, bio-feedback, meditation, for some a body focus therapy,  . . . Activities that help one better modulate, explore, articulate feelings, feel more safe about, & differentiate key emotional and or mental states (mentalizing), all help one change too, and as in doing so this helps one to reduce the presence / impact of Alexithymia in how we relate to ourselves and others.

A peaceful and nice Xmas time for everyone

cheers.
Nick Glover, psychotherapist.

Mimosa UK

Dec 21, 2018, 5:14:54 PM12/21/18
to Alexithymia Exchange
Hello

I posted on here a while ago and felt the need to log in again. While I do agree that anything that helps with bringing back feeling is to be embraced, the reason I have posted today is because I truly believe in the power of the therapist/attachment relationship in healing. I have been in psychotherapy for six years and this past week I have finally felt intense anger. I have felt really good and I’ve felt in control of it and released it via my therapist, in writing and the in music I listen to. But with this anger I have noticed a distinct differentiation of some feelings which I haven’t had before. I notice anger, excitement and contentment and peace which I have not been able to notice or label before. With this, I have an urge to dig up buried feelings from my childhood rather than avoid them, I say avoid, as I now realise this is what I may have been doing rather than having amnesia....although I am still exploring this in myself. Anyway , this is where I am up to at this point and although it’s taken it’s time, I don’t feel like it’s a temporary or short term state but one which I will keep building on with my therapist.

kurokawa8

Dec 22, 2018, 12:14:04 AM12/22/18
to Alexithymia Exchange
Thanks for the supportive words.

kurokawa8

Dec 22, 2018, 12:19:13 AM12/22/18
to Alexithymia Exchange
I'm glad to hear you're making progress.  I hope you're able to experience all of the emotions. I experienced anger twice.  That's a tough one.

Nick Glover

Dec 22, 2018, 2:11:55 AM12/22/18
to exchang...@googlegroups.com
Hi,  sounds good. I meant that biofeedback devices are a temporary gain, like meditation. Whereas change from therapy is very long term if not permanent.
Six years is a major very positive effort,  and yes its the relationship that creates / allows for those significant change.

cheers,  Nick Glover

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 9:14 AM Mimosa UK <lou6...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Mimosa UK

Dec 22, 2018, 6:43:02 AM12/22/18
to Alexithymia Exchange
Hi. Six years of therapy is a long time yet I see it as my weekly fix and my biggest fear is it ending which I often disclose to my therapist....luckily he makes it clear that we’ve only just begun (sounds like a song to me). Yes I would like to experience different feelings but maybe I’m only allowing myself what I can tolerate. I think I avoid /block sadness and this is the one I fear most ( I’m noticing my fear of emotions as I write this). I think sadness is inevitable in this journey towards feeling but my thought on it now are that it will take me to a place I will never come out of. On that happy note, wishing you a merry/cheerful/peaceful/content/normal Christmas break if you celebrate or have a break