Any Alexs in Southern California who might want to meet in person at some point?

Discworld DEATH

Dec 26, 2014, 2:50:03 PM12/26/14
to exchang...@googlegroups.com
I am a high functioning Primary Alexithymic.  I have been a member of this exchange for a number of years.  Although I haven't posted anything for a very long time, I still read other posts and I appreciate everyone's insights.  Way back when I first got on the site, I connected with a few other alexs online and was able to meet a couple of them in person.  The face-to-face contact was extremely useful to myself and to them.  Not only were we able to see all those traits and interactions that we discuss online, but it was wonderful to meet a real person who experiences things in the same unusual way that I do.  Unfortunately, I have moved around a fair bit since then, and have not been able to meet any other Alexs in person.

I would be very interested in meeting other alexithymics in person again.  Of course, I would like to get to know you through email etc. first to see if it makes sense to meet, and also for safety reasons.  I live in Orange County, California, but I travel around SoCal pretty regularly.  I also get to Las Vegas and San Fran occasionally.  I would love to meet any Alexithymics, or people who think they might be Alexithymic, but I'd be most interested in meeting other Primary Alexs.

If you live in my area and might be interested, but don't want to reply on the exchange, feel free to email me at Disc...@gmail.com.  If there are a number of us, we might even be able to have a social! :-)

Fawn Shenanigans

Jan 19, 2015, 2:02:38 PM1/19/15
to exchang...@googlegroups.com
A shame. I would love to if I were anywhere near by.
But judging by the level of activity in this group, I imagine we're spread out and not many of us. I hope I'm wrong.
I know one other Alexithymic, she's autistic, and potentially another but I think hes just a sociopath. Sorry, I digress.
Good luck in finding others! =]

CalebC

Jan 21, 2015, 10:51:11 PM1/21/15
to exchang...@googlegroups.com
When I saw the headline I figured I could ignore it, since I'm nowhere near SoCal.  Then I saw the poster's name and said, haven't seen that name in a long time.  So hi from a fellow primary and I appreciated both your earlier posts and the explanation for your name.

B. Angele Harnesberry-Kunkowski

Aug 19, 2015, 6:35:45 PM8/19/15
to Alexithymia Exchange
Maybe we could group chat? I don't like the sensation I get when meeting people like that, but mentally I would find it very interesting and even fun!

Shawn Walker

Dec 5, 2017, 5:56:57 PM12/5/17
to Alexithymia Exchange
I'm still trying to figure all of this out for myself so I do not know if I am a Primary or Secondary.  I would certainly be down for meeting up if you are still interested.  I live in Claremont and travel down the OC way quite often.

Please send me an email if you're still interested in meeting.

Shawn

Fawn No

Dec 6, 2017, 8:25:51 AM12/6/17
to exchang...@googlegroups.com
I'm not in the US unfortunately. Would be nice to have some kinda group for us though!

Fawn No

Dec 6, 2017, 3:29:17 PM12/6/17
to exchang...@googlegroups.com
OH Angele if you still want to group chat I'm open to that.
I guess I didn't see your message for like 2 years so I don't know if you're still open to that. (oh god I don't knowhow gmail failed me so much!)
Still i'm open to online chatting.
Also I could recommend Rabb.it where you can watch films online together, voice, vid and text chat as well at the same time.

On 5 December 2017 at 22:56, Shawn Walker <saw...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm still trying to figure all of this out for myself so I do not know if I am a Primary or Secondary.  I would certainly be down for meeting up if you are still interested.  I live in Claremont and travel down the OC way quite often.

Please send me an email if you're still interested in meeting.

Shawn

Discworld DEATH

Dec 7, 2017, 3:18:29 AM12/7/17
to Alexithymia Exchange
It is nice to meet you Shawn and Fawn!!  As far as video chatting goes, one of the side F/x of my personal Alex symptoms is that I find it impossible to get any kind of connection, satisfaction, or fulfillment from electronic communication, even video chatting doesn't do much for me, which makes maintaining long distance relationship a chore rather than a connection.  I'm happy to correspond with people if they have specific questions about stuff as I realize how important that can be, but it is still work for me to do that.  I really hope that you guys want to get together online and that it is a great social experience for you, but I am very unlikely to have more than one chat with someone!

As for meeting in person, I'd love to chat with any Alex or even an Alex supporter that I can meet face to face.  I'm actually now in Lakewood rather than Irvine, so I'm closer to Claremont, and would love to get together over coffee someday and discuss the various aspects of being Alex!  December is pretty filled up with social events and work etc, but if you are passing through on your way to OC, let me know and we might be able to work something out.  If not, we could plan on getting together after the new year.  Why don't you send me an email to my Disc...@gmail.com account if you plan on passing through.

As soon as I learned about Alex, I knew that I was Primary, as I've had the same perspective, behavior, etc as long as I or my family can remember.  I have also found out that I have an associated neurological condition called Dysautonomia.  It would be impossible to determine which condition started first or which one might be causing the other, I just know the 2 conditions are highly linked.

Thanks for replying to the posting, and if there are any lurkers out there in the SoCal area who want to get together, but not on the forum, feel free to email me!

DD

Fawn No

Dec 7, 2017, 8:26:35 AM12/7/17
to exchang...@googlegroups.com
I'd meet up in person if I had anyone within the city or country :P Best of luck though, meeting in person certainly does have its merits!

Ironically I manage online/LDR better than in person ones because communication tends to be more clear instead of leaving me to 'read between the lines' and be emotional available as in in person relationships do. X)
I've never heard of dsyautonomia as being related to Alexi though. I have it on account of having a genetic condition (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) which has that kinda thing as part of the parcel. But I'm certain mine are unrelated.
It just makes memory likely to faint and mess up my sleep patterns hah

It's always cool to find links though, whether general or more personal.
I'd say mine is more linked my my autism and possibly asexuality (maybe maybe, I'm hesitant to link sexualities to neurological conditions as it get so close to pathologising sexuality which is ridiculous, but for me there's some overlaps I suppose).