Write for Excelon ?

Matt Heusser

Dec 15, 2014, 11:13:19 AM12/15/14
to writing-ab...@googlegroups.com, Mike Lyles, Noah Sussman, excelon-d...@googlegroups.com, Michael Corum, software-de...@googlegroups.com
Hello Friends -

Over the past two years Excelon has been slowly building a content development team. You've probably noticed our work at Stickyminds (where we publish an article a week) or on the ITKE blog "Uncharted Waters" where Excelon published two per week. Uncharted waters is routinely in the top five blogs of the week, even though ITKE has twenty-three blogs! (By routinely I mean pretty much every week, except when we appear twice.)

In 2015 we are looking at a content production schedule - blog posts, articles, interviews, whitepapers, possibly some podcasts and vlodcasts - that is intense. The existing team is part-time, and pretty busy with actual work and volunteer work.

We'd like to add people to the fold.

Our ideal candidate has:

(A) A deep understanding of one of these four subject areas: Software Testing, Management, Development, or "Process" with an Agile Flavor.
(B) A willingness to expand to 2 or 3 of those four areas
(C) A willingness to invest some time in writing
(D) A strong personal sense of commitment and dedication
(E) No fear of blank page syndrome
(F) A twitter and G+ account, ideally a personal blog

In other words: You don't need to be a super writer. To some extent, writing is a teachable skill. We can provide development editing support (to help you figure out what to say) and copyediting support (to help you say it.) What we need is people who can stick to a deadline.

This doesn't have to be a ton of work. We could start with an article a month or two.

Yes, you can get started with a stickyminds article. Yes, we need some now. But if you'd like to use the experience to get serious ... it's a good time.

To "apply" send me an email. Let's talk about it.

Merry Christmas.

regards,

--
Matthew Heusser,
Managing Principal, Excelon Development

Timothy Western

Dec 15, 2014, 11:40:46 AM12/15/14
to excelon-d...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

I think you know I'm interested in writing.  I've already got a list of possible topics I generated from earlier this year.  I'm hoping to eventually carve regular time to write in my schedule too.   This sounds like it might be more commitment then what you needed before, but I am open to considering it either way.

-Tim

Tim Western
590 Tarrytown Road
Christiansburg, VA 24073
Skype: timothy.western
Twitter: @Veretax

Matt Heusser

Dec 15, 2014, 11:45:28 AM12/15/14
to excelon-d...@googlegroups.com
let's start with stickyminds, first draft take your time - end of the week?

$200.00. Should cover some gas to ohio ...

--heusser

--
Matthew Heusser,
Managing Principal, Excelon Development

Michael Larsen

Dec 15, 2014, 12:00:54 PM12/15/14
to excelon-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure you already know the answer ;). What do you need and when do you need it?

Sent from my iPhone

Matt Heusser

Dec 15, 2014, 12:56:55 PM12/15/14
to writing-ab...@googlegroups.com, Mike Lyles, Noah Sussman, excelon-d...@googlegroups.com, Michael Corum, software-de...@googlegroups.com
PS: Someone asked if we pay.

Answer: YES.

--heusser

--
Matthew Heusser,
Managing Principal, Excelon Development

Ted M. Young [@jitterted]

Dec 15, 2014, 7:51:02 PM12/15/14
to excelon-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Matt,

I'd love to get back to writing on a regular basis, but my main issue of late has been that I no longer really know what people need/want to read. These days I'm more in a Dev Support/Ops role, but still talk about Agile Principles to our new hires and moved from an "Agile Evangelist" to an "Agile On-Call Consultant".

So, if you've got topics, I might have words. How many words would you need?

;ted