The next peer conference

1 view

Matt Heusser

Dec 4, 2014, 10:04:25 PM12/4/14
to whose-workshop, excelon-d...@googlegroups.com, miagido...@yahoogroups.com, testret...@googlegroups.com, software-de...@googlegroups.com, Rob Bowyer, Graeme Harvey
Hello Friends -

Tomorrow I expect to put up a blog post very much like this one on the Excelon site. I hope you will consider attending, or at least telling, well, everyone you know, and even those you don't. Yay social media!

Seriously, take a look.

My second concern is just how incredibly hard this sort of write-up is. I am describing a type of test training that many people have never heard of or thought deeply about. So take a look. Turn your tester-hat on. Tell me the risks and how to write it up better. I might not take your advice (warning! I hope you aren't offended!) but I /do/ want a second set of eyes on it.

And ya'll are pretty smart. I'll probably take your advice.

If you are on this list, we've been on an adventure before.

Here's to this one, and to many more.

We aren't going to get rich on this. Honestly, with the travel cost to bring the company in, we'll lose a bit even if the event sells out -- but that's okay. I consider it our Christmas Gift to the test community. I am completely serious about that. (Oh, we'll likely have a company party on the 15th at night. Everyone here is invited, more to come.)

See below, and Merry Christmas.

--
Matthew Heusser,
Managing Principal, Excelon Development

Have you ever seen an HR manual that told you everything about the interview process: How to post a job, how to book a training room, how to have the person report to the front desk, how to write an offer letter ... everything except how to figure out who the right candidate is?

That's sort of the form of the interview, but without the power.

Now thing about test events. Webinars. Blogs. How many of them talk about what we actual do when we test - where test ideas come from, how to decide what to do next, and what to do when we get the results of that action?

A few. Not nearly enough.

Consider, for example, the difference between the Quick Attacks Exercise/Tutorial and 95% of testing writing on the web; it is a striking difference.

Talking about the tactical details of testing is hard. Too often we give up, and end up talking about theory, or how to hire, or tools, or how to document, or something else. There is certainly a place for that, but I have been to entire conferences where no one ever gave us a USB stick had the audience install and test software - entire conferences where no one projected a user interface on a screen and asked "How would you test this?"

What is up with that?

Like I said, this kind of work is hard. I know; I tried to organize hands-on tracks at two different conferences. Getting speakers to apply was like pulling teeth. Once we had the line-up, it was weak. Several of the "hands on" sessions turned into a speaker having a conversation with the audience.

I don't blame anyone. Developing good training on tactical testing is hard. (Did I say that before?)

So let's get good at it

My company, Excelon Development, is going to host a one-day peer conference on Teaching (Hands-On) (Tactical) Test Design February 16th, 2015, in Columbus, Ohio, at the Drury Inn Hotel and Convention Center. The intent of the workshop is to create a shared understand on what hands-on exercises can look like, followed by actually developing new material for which to teach software testing. Our format will be something like the WHOSE Workshop of 2013, with a series of presentations in the morning, a brainstorm and "pitch session" to present possible test exercises, work in small groups, possible rotation, and presentation. (Chris George recently described WHOSE as "one of the most intense, challenging, yet fun and enjoyable events of my professional life so far.")

Why Ohio in February?

February 16th is the day before QAOrTheHighWay, the midwest's largest one day test conference. The Drury Inn is about a half-mile walk away and the official conference hotel.

Costs, logistics, and bonuses

At $50, we've priced "WHatDa", the (WorksHop on teaching Test Design) as a non-profit event; Software Delivery 24/7 Members pay half that amount. We'll start at 8:00AM and run until 5:00PM; we will take a break around noon for lunch, which will not be provided.

This is a peer conference; every attendee will participate. Participants with particular experiences, ideas, theories, or samples to share are encouraged to submit those ideas to consideration for the morning session. If you don't have exercises to bring, that is okay: You'll help refine ideas in the afternoon.

Our goal is to produce public, defensible work. Some speakers may have intellectual property concerns, which should be stated before starting the presentation. Speakers with restrictive IP requirements will be unlikely to be picked to present, and may have a hard time finding people to help test our their ideas in the afternoon.

One final bonus: I, Matt Heusser, intend to develop some test training material at this workshop. At least one of the exercises should 'work' over the web. After the event, we'll run a free google hangout for the first ten people that sign up. If we get enough new exercises, we'll make it a series.

How can I sign up for the Workshop in Ohio?

Click "Buy Now" below to use Paypal or Credit Card -- or use the special method emailed to Software Delivery 24/7 members.

Questions? Post them here, email Ma...@xndev.com, or raise them on the Excelon Development Google Group.