what are you listening to?

Ajay

Oct 3, 2013, 5:54:44 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
So...

What are you guys listening to?

--Ajay

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 3, 2013, 5:58:46 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

OMG...seeing an email from Excellent made me so very happy.

Lately I've been listening to new ones by Minor Alps, Mazzy Star, Chvrches, Annie, The New Lines, Holy Ghost!, Factory Floor...

Charles Provencher

Oct 3, 2013, 6:00:00 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

Oct 3, 2013, 6:00:45 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
I SECOND THAT! SO RETRO! CUUUUTE!

Blouse's new album is fantastico.
http://www.blouseblouse.com/

xxoo!

Bernadette Gilbey

Oct 3, 2013, 6:02:18 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Gah!! Thought this was a ghost group!

Holding true to my guitarry roots and far too in to the new Arctic Monkeys and Jake Bugg.

Is everyone enjoying Rocktober? I'm exhausted from the amount of shows and its just the beginning.
From: Ajay <ajayro...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 14:54:44 -0700 (PDT)

So...

What are you guys listening to?

--Ajay

Charles Provencher

Oct 3, 2013, 6:05:32 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Awoken from the dead!

Recent faves have been Dry the River, Martin Rossiter, the new Suede, Opossom, Rhye, Kishi Bashi, The Veils, and too many others to mention....

Oct 3, 2013, 6:07:49 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Dirty Beaches, SISU, Disclosure, Still Corners and Jagwar Ma... oh and Warpaint because I'm seeing them soon.

Hi all.

Oct 3, 2013, 6:12:59 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
I feel like we're all waking up from hibernation or something...

I've been listening to the crap out of the Chvrches record... I'm also really liking the Bastille record (even though I know it's kind of a load of commercial bollocks)... Holy Ghost... Jagwar Ma... the new Sigur Ros... the new Pet Shop Boys... the new Polyphonic Spree... Of Montreal (even though it's really really bad, I can't bring myself to admit it quite yet)... the Earl Sweatshirt record... and I'll admit it, I've been rocking the Icona Pop record probably more than I should.

Plus I'm waiting with bated breath for the new Brother Kite to come up in about a month.

But tonight I get to go home and listen to Miley Cyrus because I DJ to morons for a living.

-s-

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 3, 2013, 6:17:06 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

OH! And the new No Joy and No Age records! And the new Austra. And I'm still obsessed with the last Black Moth Super Rainbow album.

So much new stuff lately. The Karl Hyde record is really nice in spots.

Charles Provencher

Oct 3, 2013, 6:18:35 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Anyone else finding there are fewer great albums, more good singular songs from bands. A result of the digital age, where a moment of singular inspiration is captured and sold........or maybe I'm just getting old;)

Oct 3, 2013, 6:35:57 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

I think that same thing occasionally, but that makes the great album even that much sweeter I guess. But yeah, we could just be getting old. Haha

James Freeman

Oct 3, 2013, 7:07:22 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Oh my, hello Excellent.

The Primal Scream album is the one to beat for 2013, but the new Annie EP is delicious.

Melissa Lawrenz

Oct 3, 2013, 8:14:16 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
I'm loving London Grammar and No Ceremony.  I dig a few The 1975 songs even though I feel like I shouldn't. The recent Suede album is absolutely wonderful.  I've become a huge fan of Ghost BC after seeing them at Lollapalooza. And I'm by no means a metal person.  The Kumas Ghost burger is hilarious.

Rufu...@aol.com

Oct 3, 2013, 8:43:45 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Seconding the new Primal Scream, PSB and Washed Out albums.  Ultrasound put out a new album last year that I've just started listening to and I'm very eagerly awaiting the deluxe reissue of the World of Twist album.

I'm not a huge fan of the Ocean Blue, but I figured there might be a few people here who are.  They just put out a new album on this new local (Twin Cities) label, Korda Records.  It's got some other familiar names and likeminded acts if that's your thing:

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 3, 2013, 8:47:34 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

Someone is reissuing World Of Twist? Amazing.

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 3, 2013, 8:48:07 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

(Which is not to say that they shouldn't, btw. Just surprised.)

Rufu...@aol.com

Oct 3, 2013, 8:51:01 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, there's info and a tracklisting here:

The Cherry Red group has been getting a lot of my money as of late, with the great JAMC, Suede and Bronski Beat/Commundards reissues.

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 3, 2013, 8:52:04 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

I'd already gone to Google and found that link. Guess I'll have to place an order!

Rufu...@aol.com

Oct 3, 2013, 8:52:51 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
I'm hoping some label does the same for the Paris Angels and Earl Brutus, too.

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 3, 2013, 8:57:39 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

Yes please re: Paris Angels.

Cherry Red did Bronski Beat and Suede? Are you thinking of Edsel?

Rufu...@aol.com

Oct 3, 2013, 8:59:00 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Oh, sorry, you are correct.  Both companies are doing a lot of stuff I've been buying.

It's a sure sign I'm old, when all my favorite albums from (ahem) 20 (or more) years ago are getting reissued.

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 3, 2013, 9:04:18 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

I know the feeling!

What is the quality level on these packages? I wasn't 100% thrilled with the Suede packaging. I'd love to get the Bronski Beat for sure.

Rufu...@aol.com

Oct 3, 2013, 9:13:11 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
The Bronski Beat/Communards sets (and Jimmy's first two solo albums) are housed in standard-sized jewel cases (that hold 2 CDs) with cardboard slipcovers.  The sound quality of the bonus material does vary some, and it was kind of frustrating that they used the edited versions of the singles on the first Communards album ... but, overall, I'm still quite happy with them.  Quite honestly, I just like to support any label that's still bothering with deluxe versions of catalog stuff like this.

The JAMC reissues are packaged the same as the Suede ones.

Also, this US label did some nice reissues of the Medicine catalog (and put out their new one):

Ajay Sharma

Oct 3, 2013, 10:01:04 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

ULTRASOUND?!?!

--Ajay

James Freeman

Oct 3, 2013, 10:09:36 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
The Ultrasound record from last year is a fucking triumph. They're working on LP3 this very second and I cannot wait.

Sent from Mailbox for iPad

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 3, 2013, 10:18:11 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com, excellen...@googlegroups.com
Where ya been Ajay? ;)

Philip Stewart-Bowes

Oct 3, 2013, 11:49:03 PM10/3/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for starting this thread and waking us all up Ajay!  It's great to see so many names I haven't seen in years :)

I think this has been the best year for new music in as long as I can remember, just one future classic after another.

Right now, I'm loving CHVRCHES, Fuck Buttons, Jon Hopkins, Moderat, Kings Of Leon, Placebo, White Lies...

In addition to the above, my favourite albums of the year include (in no particular order):  Foals, Daft Punk, MBV(!), Frightened Rabbit, !!!, The National, Matt Pond, Mogwai, The Strokes...

...and I can't wait for the new Four Tet album which I didn't even find out about until this week!

Ajay - have you got the 4 new Black Submarine tracks from the Java Heat soundtrack?  I've been waiting patiently for this new Nick McCabe/Si Jones project for ages, but I'm not sure what to make of these songs just yet...

Phil

Ajay Sharma

Oct 4, 2013, 12:19:00 AM10/4/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
I've been living under a rock for the past several years listening to my old ride records.   (Plus I got married, had a kid and switched 3 jobs in two years to end up at Disney left me without any free time)

--Ajay

Nick Bowman

Oct 4, 2013, 8:35:48 AM10/4/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Was just thinking about this group last week.  Nice to hear that this music geekdom still exists.

Over a dozen of emails, and no mention of Neil Halstead and Rachel Goswell playing Slowdive tunes?!!  How about a Slowdive reunion next year?

Just recently attended the awesome Laneway Festival here in Michigan with The National, Sigur Ros, Washed Out, Warpaint, Chvrches, Frightened Rabbit, Phosphorescent, and a number of others.  Only 7500+ people in attendance made it even cozier.  Fest was for people who love music, but hate festivals.  Highly recommended for anyone who lives here in the Midwest for next year.  Very well organized.  And nothing better more than a 5 minute walk among the 4 stages.  Suck it Lollapalooza.

Can't wait to see My Bloody Valentine November 3rd in Chicago!

Nick

From: ajayro...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 21:19:00 -0700
Subject: Re: [excellent] Ultrasound?!?
To: excellen...@googlegroups.com

Brian Trost

Oct 4, 2013, 10:00:06 AM10/4/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com, <excellent-online@googlegroups.com>
Yes! No Joy

For all you 1991 shoegaze fans you got hear Ringo Deathstarr's Colour Trip. It sounds like a creation release from the early 90's

John Dasilva

Oct 4, 2013, 10:24:52 AM10/4/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Excellent lives! Happy to see so many names from the past.

AM by Arctic Monkeys has been on repeat for a few weeks now. Disclosure, Chvrches, Foxygen a few sings on Phosphoresence, The Strypes and as far as (real old) music I've been hooked on the entire Procol Harum catalog

robb roncs

Oct 4, 2013, 8:15:45 PM10/4/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
newish Local Natives, Chvrches, new Mike Doughty, Charlatans (because of jon), tragically hip, real estate, new travis, newish Fall, new toad the wet sprocket, newish mary onettes, wild nothing, the exploding boy, junip

and a ton of Ween. . . .not sure why.  but ive been on major ween kick this past month.

just got the new manics in the mail...but still sealed

ive missed you kids

John Dasilva

Oct 4, 2013, 8:35:23 PM10/4/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Wow great to see all these excellent names

Arctic Monkeys, Strypes, Disclosure

Jads

Katie Glick

Oct 4, 2013, 8:53:22 PM10/4/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Hahaha wow, I didn't even know I was still on this mailing list, cool! Anyway I am old and busy so the only new music I have listened too lately is the Arcade Fire. I liked it. It's cool to see all these recommendations though ... I never have time to find stuff for myself anymore.

Kenneth Hooper

Oct 5, 2013, 4:36:19 AM10/5/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
WOW, great to see this pop up!

New faves are The Outfit (album just debuted called Performance), Amateur Best, Cave Painting, Steve Mason, The Phoenix Foundation, Still Corners, (and like many others) Jagwar Ma, Tame Impala, Little Boots, Maps, Chapel Club, new Goldfrapp, new Mazzy Star, Luke Solomon, Stubborn Heart, Stornoway, East India Youth, Efterklang, Moderat, Young Dreams, Factory Floor.  And still buying 12" remixes - fave of the month DJ Yellow featuring Flowers and Sea Creatures "no one gets left behind"

I still seem to spend a lot of my cash on music.

From: ktg...@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 17:53:22 -0700

Ben Rowe

Oct 5, 2013, 6:22:48 AM10/5/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Long time no email!

The new Mazzy Star is on heavy rotation and also I've got back into Slowdive's 'Souvlaki' recently.

gus....@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2013, 11:03:03 AM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
I Love this!

I'm all over Chvrches, White Chapel, Ra Ra Riot, HAIM, The new Suede(of course), the new Travis, new Phantogram, Arctic Monkeys AM, Local Natives, Lorde, Johnny Fucking Marr, Telekinesis, Surfer Blood and... etc... It's been a not bad year.  Even the new Popped out Tegan and Sara has been good.

change me

Oct 7, 2013, 1:18:31 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
All I know is it kinda makes me misty-eyed to see posts from you guys again.  Welcome back to life, Excellent mailing list.

:) -s-

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Ajay <ajayro...@gmail.com> wrote:
So...

What are you guys listening to?

--Ajay

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 7, 2013, 1:28:15 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

Agreed. I always thought this was the best format for news and discussion. I learned about so much from you guys!

Charles Provencher

Oct 7, 2013, 1:45:58 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
So....where do you all generally find info on new music?

Most my sources had dried up, Excellent included. It's mostly the monthly Birp! playlist, or online reviews (of which, Pitchfork seems to be losing touch).

Oct 7, 2013, 1:55:27 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
True. I've found ways to 'research' new music, but it's very much hit-or-miss......and mostly miss.

Bernadette Gilbey

Oct 7, 2013, 1:59:01 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
The only time I ever seem to learn about new stuff is when its on the polo field and I wander across that stage at just the right time. Also still getting the random tip from friends still caught up in the industry or who just have more time - who knows how they're finding new stuff!

From: Joseph Whitcher <jos...@fac51.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 10:52:54 -0700

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 7, 2013, 2:00:50 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

I'm on a Facebook group that is essentially Excellent but with the added benefit of posting videos/audio and an option to "subscribe" to individual post emails. That's probably the closest evolution to mailing lists that I've seen.

Ajay Sharma

Oct 7, 2013, 2:05:23 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
I'm clearly out of touch since I didn't even know that Ultrasound made a new record.

The way I get new music is still word of mouth from friends.  But as we all get older, we all get busy so that's starting to dry up as well.

Let's keep this going.  If you hear of something good, shoot off a quick email to the group.  A lot of us could use more music in our lives, that's why we're here.  That seven word email might be the best thing I ever sent to this list in the last 15 years.  :)

--Ajay

Ajay Sharma

Oct 7, 2013, 2:08:33 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
I've found a bunch of gems at Coachella.  I think that's where I first heard the Editors, Yuck, Polyphonic Spree, and so many more.

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 7, 2013, 2:10:19 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

At least in the last five years? I think things Excellent started drying up around 2008. :)

Nick Bowman

Oct 7, 2013, 2:12:51 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

KEXP Seattle is one of the best places to hear new music.

Public radio, no commercials.

Download the app on iPhone, Andriod, internet station, itunes radio, or whatever.  Unless you live in Seattle.

-Nick

Charles Provencher

Oct 7, 2013, 2:21:02 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Two good sources....
---Birp.fm.....they release a 100+ song sampler each month (via the site or....other sources). I've found some favorites, but you do have to weed out quite a bit of electro-pop.
---indieshuffle.com is a decent place, and they have an app.

Oct 7, 2013, 4:12:18 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com, excellen...@googlegroups.com
I was always more for a lurker than poster, and like most now days, I don't have a lot of time to research new music. Thanks for all the new band names to play!

I've been checking out Savages.

Brian Trost, dead on with Ringo Deathstarr—Colour Trip. I always trust your opinion.

Best email in a long time.

Thanks, Excellent people!

Sent from my iPhone

Charles Provencher

Oct 7, 2013, 4:17:58 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com, excellen...@googlegroups.com
For some reason I find myself quite drawn to Savages. First listen didn't so much, but I 'got it' after seeing a live clip. Reminds me of discovering Bauhaus back in the day.

Oct 7, 2013, 4:51:09 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
I'm a Spotify subscriber, and that's the best $10 I spend a month. I subscribe to several playlists from places like Digster, Pitchfork, or just users who have good taste. A lot of them are updated frequently with new music and Spotify seems to get new releases quickly. XMU and Alt Nation on Sirius XM have been good sources for me, too.

x sarah

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

Katie Glick

Oct 7, 2013, 5:11:46 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
I also but the bullet and just subscribed to Spotify. They don't have everything, but they have a lot of what I want to listen to, and you can also listen to your own music library through it. They sometimes send me an email with recommendations based on what I listened to that are pretty good and also let me know when new stuff is coming out, which is good, since I never know anymore.

LaMar Webster

Oct 7, 2013, 8:42:12 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Great to see all these emails... I had forgotten about this group.. Let's keep it going!... seems like the older I get I keep finding more and more new artists...  K... lately I've been listening to alot of new bands with a 70's retro sound... Rival Sons, Leogun, The Temperance Movement, The Virginmarys, Kassidy......... and then I I keep spinning my all time favorites...Frank Turner, The Trews, Joel Plaskett, Dodgy.....  Dodgy's latest album last year is absolutely brilliant!.........

From: ktg...@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 14:11:46 -0700

Brian Trost

Oct 7, 2013, 9:51:35 PM10/7/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Anyone heard Sulk? I think all of you will love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YU0LjRbAz0

Current UK band, total "baggy" revival

Charles Provencher

Oct 8, 2013, 11:56:30 AM10/8/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Guess we're on the verge of a 90's revival. This came out last year, but has the same kinda feel...

Swim Deep - Honey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P49qiSnA_nw

Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 20:51:35 -0500
To: excellen...@googlegroups.com

Anyone heard Sulk? I think all of you will love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YU0LjRbAz0

Current UK band, total "baggy" revival

robb roncs

Oct 24, 2013, 1:19:25 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

Mike McCann

Oct 24, 2013, 1:23:33 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com, excellen...@googlegroups.com
Already debunked as a leftover rumour from 2007, sadly...

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse any fat-fingered typos

robb roncs

Oct 24, 2013, 1:25:29 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
yea, dis-ir-regard that...sorry for the spam.

Robi Knepp

Oct 24, 2013, 1:26:26 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

I was so incredibly excited for 3 minutes...=(

Charles Provencher

Oct 24, 2013, 1:33:28 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
As much as we would love to see our favorite bands reform, I really wonder if it's best to let those fond memories lay.

I recall a recent Pulp reunion. Love Jarvis, but what was already a shaky voice, has now become impossible to listen to. It's really something I didn't need to hear....especially without new material.

Gene on the other hand;)

Oct 24, 2013, 1:39:30 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Having seen Pulp back in the day and the recent sets at both Coachella weekends and the Fox show in Pomona I say it was a reunion well worth happening.

Do they need to do it again? Probably not - they've done what they need to do and it was great!

From: Joseph Whitcher <jos...@fac51.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:36:03 -0700

Ajay Sharma

Oct 24, 2013, 1:54:51 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com, excellen...@googlegroups.com
I really liked the pulp and blur sets at coachella.  Stone Roses on the other hand....

--Ajay

Bernadette Gilbey

Oct 24, 2013, 1:57:17 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
That Stone Roses set was horrifying!! Was so glad that I went over to the V Fest to see it when it was magical.
From: Ajay Sharma <ajayro...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:54:51 -0700

Joseph Whitcher

Oct 24, 2013, 2:15:14 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Stone Roses was horrid.

John Dasilva

Oct 24, 2013, 2:32:27 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Damn I missed this group. Because of Ajays one little email I have discovered 2 albums I would have missed otherwise. Jagwar Ma & Django Django have been on repeat. Thanks

Robb

Oct 24, 2013, 2:57:38 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Jagwar Ma has been on repeat in my car for weeks. You guys are going to hurt my pockets again, aren't you??

> On Oct 24, 2013, at 2:32 PM, John Dasilva <johnad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Damn I missed this group. Because of Ajays one little email I have discovered 2 albums I would have missed otherwise. Jagwar Ma & Django Django have been on repeat. Thanks

Charles Provencher

Oct 24, 2013, 3:06:33 PM10/24/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Anyone get into Dry The River at all?

I originally came across the below 'acoustic boat show', performed while meandering through the canals of Amsterdam. Both the cd and follow up acoustic cd are amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbsMVyLQ35I

Charles