HOW do you listen to music?

1 view

Ajay Sharma

Nov 20, 2013, 3:45:44 PM11/20/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
So there's been a bunch of changes in how most people listen to music.  I remember listening to records and CD's with headphones lying on a bed when I was a kid.  And then I would record mixtapes for the car.  Then burn mix cd's for the car, then I got an "empeg":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empeg_Car

That was a pretty awesome device as I finally had all my music wherever I went.

Then my latest car didn't have a "standard" DIM slot for that stereo so I had to retire it.  BUT it did have a bluetooth connection to my phone.  So I now have a subsonic server  (subsonic.org) at the house which hosts all my music.  There's an iphone app that will connect to it and play all my music wherever I am and it pipes it through the car stereo.

So right now I use a combination of:

Subsonic for all my mp3 ripped music.
Pandora for random streaming or when my subsonic server is down.
Downcast for podcasts.

If I'm at home, work, or in the car the music most likely will be coming from the phone.

How do you listen to music?

--Ajay

Kenneth

Nov 21, 2013, 5:16:39 AM11/21/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Still listen to music on the stereo at home, either records or cds

On the tube I listen to music usually on my iPod Touch or if I've left it at home on my iPhone, but always have my headphones in my bag.  And yes, because I have so many tunes, I have a separate iPod just for that even though I have the 32GB iPhone, there's just usually too much other stuff on it to hold my music.

Whenever I fly home to the States to visit the parents, I make sure the rental car has one of those USB inserts so I can plug in my phone.

that is all,
ken

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:45:44 -0800
Subject: [excellent] HOW do you listen to music?
From: ajayro...@gmail.com
To: excellen...@googlegroups.com

Charles Provencher

Nov 21, 2013, 11:34:38 AM11/21/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Interesting timing Ajay……

I used to have something vaguely similar for my car around ’97, it was the Kenwood Music Keg. Had a whopping 10G hard drive, with car and computer side docks. Worked for the most part, but the software on the pc side was pretty notorious for being buggy.

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/kenwood_music_keg.aspx

Since then I’ve relied on car stereos that can play mp3s burned on dvds. Searching is a pain, and it’s limited in terms of things like shuffle, but it’s much easier to use than having to play with a small screen while driving.

Other than the car, the majority of my listening is on the work or home pcs. I heard yesterday that the venerable Winamp is closing shop. I’ve listened to 80% of my music through this software, also going back to about ’97. It’s been solid, non-intrusive, with just enough (easy to use) functions.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/06/winamp-how-greatest-mp3-player-undid-itself/

I ditched the i-pod long ago, and rarely use my phone, but do carry around about 30 gigs of music. Music is now purely in digital form (though I will surely pick up the coming Gene re-releases!). It’s also native, I’ve not really delved into streaming services, but will check out Indie Shuffle from time to time, or youtube.

Nov 21, 2013, 2:28:58 PM11/21/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
I'm still using an 80 gb ipod (classic version) to listen to music in the car and at work.  At home I transitioned about 10 years ago to all mp3s and use 3 different Slim Device/Logitech Squeezebox(en) to listen to our whole house music system.  Mainly at home I listen to my music, but at times use internet radio as well.

I miss looking and holding the CD booklets, etc. but not enough to dig them out of the attic.

I'm curious though, how many people have gone digital and then sold all their collections and how many are gathering dust like me?

Nathan

Nick Bowman

Nov 21, 2013, 2:40:46 PM11/21/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am an everyday user of 160 gb Classic iPod.  Virtually all of my music files are lossless, no MP3s for me.

If it is music I am seeking to put in my iPod, I'll purchase the cd.  Otherwise, I buy vinyl.

-Nick

John Dasilva

Nov 21, 2013, 3:47:02 PM11/21/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com, excellen...@googlegroups.com
I use my iPhone for just about everything, car, walking around etc. at home either my PC set up to speakers or iTunes through an iPad directed at my system remotely. I find I listen more and more through headphones. Have thought about going the Sonos route for the house but haven't pulled the trigger.

I too miss not just CDs but LPs as well but not enough to dig them out from storage. Years ago I digitized my entire CD collection which took a while and sold a large chunk of the collection when it was still worth doing economically. I don't think that's the case anymore. I do biy actual physical CDs when something collectible is released or to maintain my collection of cherished artists. Even in NYC however stores that sell CDs are few and far between. My purchases are primarily online. It's something I regret for my son who is 15-although he does remember me taking him on cd runs when he was little

Jason

Nov 22, 2013, 1:05:21 AM11/22/13
to excellen...@googlegroups.com
In the car, my CD player has a USB adapter so I plug a flash drive in and play from there.

I pay $5/month for Rdio and stream that at work and home.. well worth it to me for convenient access to a ton of music. For music that isn't and won't ever be on Rdio, I use Google Music. I just haven't had time to weed through the nearly 1 TB of music to upload it all to Google Music (since you can upload 20000 songs for free).

At home, I'm usually on my work's Macbook Air streaming Rdio or Google Music. I'm rarely on my PC other than gaming anymore.

Jason