Sophos blocking add-in

TokyoDerm

Apr 29, 2024, 8:31:55 AMApr 29
to Excel-DNA
Hi, Pls see below. It was working fine a few days previously so I guess Sophos did some updates. We added the path to the Sophos 'Allowed Applications' list but it didn't fix the problem. There is a ticket created with their support desk so waiting to hear back but in the meantime, can you think of any way to avoid it being flagged in the first place?

FYI, we're using Excel-DNA v1.8.0-alpha3 from NuGet.

Thanks!

Dermot

sophos.png

Govert van Drimmelen

Apr 29, 2024, 12:50:10 PMApr 29
to exce...@googlegroups.com

Sometimes that anti-virus programs get anxious about the assemblies that are embedded as resources in the add-in .xll file.

One way you can check for this is to make a fully ‘unpacked’ add-in, and see if that avoids some problems.

For this you could set an extra project property

    <ExcelDnaUnpack>true</ExcelDnaUnpack>

After this, you should see a difference in the output written to the ‘publish’ directory.

In addition to the two.xll files, you’ll get all the dependencies from Excel-DNA (like ExcelDna.ManagedHost.dll) and your add-in as loose file copied to ‘publish’ as well. This whole directory is now needed to run your add-in, but doing it this way might avoid the anti-virus.

-Govert

image001.png

TokyoDerm

Jun 3, 2024, 11:09:40 PMJun 3