Unable to load ExcelDna.ManagedHost

Jordan McFarland

Nov 22, 2021, 3:23:34 PM11/22/21
to Excel-DNA
managed host.png

Govert - would you be able to point me in a direction to resolve this?

Govert van Drimmelen

Nov 22, 2021, 3:49:08 PM11/22/21
to exce...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jordan,

That sounds like the recent anti-virus issue – some anti-virus programs were / are detecting the ExcelDna.Integration.dll from v 1.5.0 as a problem, and blocking it.

At least Microsoft Defender has white-listed the file now, but there might still be some others.

See this issue for all the details: The ExcelDna.ManagedHost.AddInInitialize.Initialize call failed / ExcelDna.Integration.dll 1.5.0 flagged as containing malware by Windows Defender · Issue #413 · Excel-DNA/ExcelDna (github.com)

What anti-virus program is running?

Then you might want to figure out whether it has deleted this file from where it is extracted by the NuGet package.

It could be something else, but that would be a surprise.

-Govert

Govert - would you be able to point me in a direction to resolve this?

image001.png

Jordan McFarland

Nov 22, 2021, 4:23:26 PM11/22/21
to Excel-DNA
Hi Govert - thanks for the quick response! There isn't specific package for ManagedHost. Is the dll included in the integration nuget package? If so, I don't see it in the integration lib folder.

Bart Duijndam

Nov 23, 2021, 2:59:39 AM11/23/21
to Excel-DNA
Hi Jordan, Govert,

Maybe this is of help:

When I was affected by the false positive from the F-Secure virusscanner (they fixed it in the mean time) I could no longer build a new ExcelDna project, even after they fixed it.
Reason: NuGet Cache got messed up. Solution :  Tools -> Package Manager Settings ->  Clear All NuGet Cache(s).

Cheers,
Bart

Jordan McFarland

Nov 23, 2021, 10:16:09 AM11/23/21
to Excel-DNA
Hi Bart - I think you highlight a good point. Even after the AV is addressed,  if AV was in full protect mode, the flagged files would still be quarantined and thus you would need to get a new download of the NuGet folders.

For anyone else reading this, another symptom I noticed was that the dlls from the NuGet packages were not available in references.

refer4ences.png

At the moment, I am working with cyber to address the AV portion of the issue. Will report back if that resolves the issue.

Thanks!

Jordan McFarland

Nov 24, 2021, 2:07:52 PM11/24/21
to Excel-DNA
Govert - your hunch was correct. Thank you for the help!