Contain the solution array of a UDF in a cell

SDLR MADEMS

Aug 23, 2021, 6:13:34 PM8/23/21
to Excel-DNA
Hi, I'm new to the group. I would like to ask for UDF because when updating version 1.0 to 1.1.1 the solution that is a matrix arrangement is self-dimensioning, this did not happen to me previously since the matrix solution was contained in the cell. Is it possible to contain the solution only in one cell ?. Thanks

Govert van Drimmelen

Aug 23, 2021, 6:22:53 PM8/23/21
to exce...@googlegroups.com

Excel-DNA is now registered on GitHub Sponsors.

You can add Excel-DNA support with easy billing through a corporate GitHub account.

This does not sound like a change that comes from the Excel-DNA version.

It might be that your Excel has been upgraded to a version that supports the new ‘Dynamic Arrays’ feature.

This is part of the Office 365 updates, and you can recognize that your Excel has this feature by checking that you have =SORT(…) and =FILTER(…) functions built in.

When you enter a new formula or re-enter a formula which has a UDF that returns an array, Excel will spill the array to the appropriate size.

You can opt out of this behaviour by putting an @ in your formula, i.e. calling it as =@MyUDF(1,2,3)

This is the compatible behaviour, and you’ll see this when opening old workbooks too – any UDF formula you had in an old workbook would not show with an @ in the new Excel.

So the old workbook would calculate exactly the same as before.

But if you re-enter the formula without the @ you now get this spilling behaviour.

Some articles the describe the new Excel feature are linked from here: Dynamic Arrays · Excel-DNA/ExcelDna Wiki (github.com)

If I’ve misunderstood your situation, please write back with a bit more details.

-Govert