version 1.1 vs 1.6 sizes

Onn

Nov 10, 2022, 11:45:37 PM11/10/22
to Excel-DNA
hi

I noticed when I take a project that was using excel dna 1.1 and use nuget to upgrade to 1.6 .1 alpha 6, the size of the xll grows dramatically.

In 1.1 the the size is ~570KB
In 1.6.1 alpha 6 the size is ~2.3MB

Is that expected?

Govert van Drimmelen

Nov 12, 2022, 5:43:25 AM11/12/22
to Excel-DNA
Hi there,

Yes, the size change is expected.

In our further attempts to deal with the anti-virus packages, we have disabled the compression when packing assemblies into the .xll file.
This means the assemblies in the resources are completely transparent and can more easily be inspected by the AV tools (perhaps).
A side effect is the larger add-in binaries.

I'm not sure yet whether we will keep the compression off for the next pre-release versions, or switch it back on.

Is the size much of an issue for you?

-Govert

onn

Nov 16, 2022, 3:13:47 AM11/16/22
to exce...@googlegroups.com
Nice, thanks for the reply and clearing that up.
At first I didn't notice but then had an issue so started looking closer. I noticed the size diff so thought to check on that.

My 2 cents: I'm personally not too concerned with the size, having an easier time getting past the AV's would definitely have higher priority over size. If you are still on the fence with this, I might suggest adding a property to build with compression or without.