What should you pay attention to when converting the development language of exceldna project from vb.net to c#?

Ash Hui

Jul 19, 2024, 11:33:23 PM (2 days ago) Jul 19
to Excel-DNA
My initial programming of Excel was transferred from the VBA platform to the Exceldna platform. Considering the similarity of the syntax and my unfamiliarity with the C# language, I chose the VB.net platform at that time. But later I came into contact with the ts language, and I felt that I preferred this style of syntax. Then the similarity between ts and c# languages ​​is relatively high. In addition, c# language has a wider audience and more learning materials, so I plan to convert my exceldna project from vb.net to c#.

My project has about twenty or thirty code files. I plan to find a conversion website to convert all the code files into formats first, and then process them manually later.
I would like to ask, are there any precautions during the conversion process?

Kedar Kulkarni

Jul 20, 2024, 7:30:03 AM (2 days ago) Jul 20
to exce...@googlegroups.com
There is a risk if you blindly use the converted code as is. The tools are improving but in my opinion they are not there yet.. you could use resharper/copilot for a trial and speedup the optimization for better refactoring but at the end of the day,  use cases should be thoroughly tested if code is auto generated. There are better code practices and patterns that may not be used by converted code so it should be rearchitected if time permits but one must move ahead some way or the other..

Ash Hui

Jul 20, 2024, 10:28:37 PM (2 days ago) Jul 20
to Excel-DNA
I just started trying to transplant today. Indeed, during practice, I found many problems that the converter cannot handle and require manual debugging. Although the process is a bit cumbersome, it is also quite interesting.