Compatibility Inquiry: Excel Add-In Functionality Across Platforms

Sham Khole

May 14, 2024, 5:09:44 AMMay 14
to Excel-DNA

I am reaching out to inquire about the compatibility of Excel add-ins across different platforms, specifically between Windows and Mac operating systems.

I have recently developed an Excel add-in that functions seamlessly on Windows. However, I am uncertain whether the same add-in will work effectively on Mac platforms. Before proceeding further, I would like to confirm whether Excel add-ins created for Windows are compatible with Mac systems.

Could you please provide guidance on this matter? Additionally, if there are any specific considerations or adjustments necessary to ensure cross-platform compatibility, I would greatly appreciate your insights.

Best regards, Sham

Govert van Drimmelen

May 14, 2024, 5:13:16 AMMay 14
to exce...@googlegroups.com

Excel-DNA based add-ins are only compatible with the Desktop version of Excel on Windows.

The Windows OS can be running on a VM platform like parallels on top of Mac OS.

The native Excel on Mac OS does not support .xll add-ins like those built with Excel-DNA, since it does not support the Excel C API as defined by the Excel SDK.

-Govert

Sham Khole

May 20, 2024, 3:09:38 AMMay 20
to Excel-DNA

Dear Govert,

Thank you for your prompt response and clarification regarding the compatibility of Excel-DNA based add-ins with Mac systems.

Given that .xll add-ins are not supported natively on Mac OS, could you please provide guidance on what would be required to create an Excel add-in that is compatible with Mac OS? Specifically, I am interested in understanding:

  1. The recommended approach or technology stack for developing Excel add-ins for Mac.
  2. Any specific tools or frameworks that are best suited for this purpose.
  3. Common challenges or considerations to keep in mind during the development process to ensure cross-platform compatibility.

Your insights on these points would be greatly appreciated as I aim to make my add-in accessible to users on both Windows and Mac platforms.

Best regards, Sham

Trevor Philips

May 28, 2024, 2:55:06 AMMay 28
to Excel-DNA
To develop an across platforms add-in, perhaps you can try the Office Javascript Api(https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dev/add-ins/develop/understanding-the-javascript-api-for-office). it can create and deploy an add-in to Office Application Shop (online of offline(organization/domain network)) by using Javascript