Pack ZIP into XLL?

Lukas

Jul 21, 2021, 10:02:39 AM7/21/21
to Excel-DNA
Hi,

I would like to ship an external file (ZIP) together with the XLL to be available and used by the addin.
How would you do this?

Thank you already
Best,
Lukas

Govert van Drimmelen

Jul 21, 2021, 3:50:59 PM7/21/21
to Excel-DNA
Excel-DNA is now registered on GitHub Sponsors.
You can add Excel-DNA support with easy billing through a corporate GitHub account.

Hi Lukas,

I would suggest storing extra files into the C# .dll library as resources.
You might have a look at this old article: Packaging and Deploying Resources in .NET Apps | Microsoft Docs
Or the current docs here Resources in .NET apps | Microsoft Docs, but you'll see there are various ways to do it.

Embedding into the .xll file in the same way as the Excel-DNA assemblies is not great, since there is no public API to get them out from there and I consider it an implementation detail.
But you could probably figure out those calls from the source too.

-Govert

Lukas

Aug 10, 2021, 11:58:02 AM8/10/21
to Excel-DNA
Thank you Govert, via resources works well.