Standard places to put various files

Mike Stephenson

Mar 15, 2021, 1:46:26 PM3/15/21
to Excel-DNA
Are there any best practices on where to install various non-XLL files?

1) I have a Sqlite database that the XLL depends on. Where should this be installed?

2) I will also have a help file. Again, is there a standard location where it should be installed?

3) Is it customary to install both 32-bit and 64-bit XLLs in the
C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns folder ?

Thanks!

Mike

Scott Sweezey

Dec 14, 2021, 11:01:18 AM12/14/21
to Excel-DNA
Mike, I am curious if you found an answer to the 3rd question.  I am writing up instructions for users to install an addin I created but not sure the steps.  The file will likely be on a Dropbox share so do i just tell users to copy the packed xll to "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns" folder and that's it?  When they open Excel the addin will be there and nothing more needed?

Chad Kelley

Mar 10, 2022, 9:47:46 PMMar 10
to Excel-DNA
Hey Mike,
Just wondering if you found a solution to 1. It appears you can't pack a SqLite Db file into the actual XLL File.  So just wondering if you found a Solution.

Thanks,