How to get standalone nodes

Robert Cowham

Oct 3, 2013, 10:05:01 AM10/3/13
to excel-r...@googlegroups.com
Just been playing with the D3 graphs - it's very nice!

One question - am not quite sure how to get Nodes on to the diagram which are linked to by another node.

My initial data was in 2 sheets: Nodes and Links

Structure for Nodes and data is:
NodeName,Group,Attribute1,Attribute2
NodeA,GrpA,attrA1,attrA2
NodeB,GrpB,attrB1,attrB2
NodeC,GrpB,attrC1,attrC2

Structure for Links and data is:
ParentNode,ChildNode,LinkType,LinkAttribute1
NodeA,NodeB,link,linkattr1
NodeB,NodeC,link,linkattr2

Have set up a sheet with just the links sheet, and at the moment I am missing NodeC using above data. I can see from the .html generated that there is no Node record for NodeC.

How do I get such "dangling" nodes to be processed properly?

I could write a custom function but assume there is probably something I am missing with setting up options etc.

Regards
Robert

Bruce Mcpherson

Oct 3, 2013, 10:23:55 AM10/3/13
to excel-r...@googlegroups.com
can u send me your workbook with what you've done so far. it makes it much easier

bruce

Robert Cowham

Oct 3, 2013, 11:08:48 AM10/3/13
to excel-r...@googlegroups.com
Here you go - cut down version.
map-ex1.xlsm

Bruce Mcpherson

Oct 3, 2013, 11:39:43 AM10/3/13
to excel-r...@googlegroups.com
the problem is with the naming of the nodes  '.' is used to seperate children elements in the underlying model. I should really escape/unescape them when used in given keys - i'll take care of this in a later update.

workaround is to add a childkey and parentkey column as per this attached. I would always recommend a separate unique key from the label anyway.

map-ex1 (1).xlsm

Robert Cowham

Oct 3, 2013, 12:01:10 PM10/3/13
to excel-r...@googlegroups.com