REST GET returns XML rather than JSON to store in the target sheet.

David Scott Stokes

Oct 21, 2013, 7:03:47 AM10/21/13
to excel-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am extracting data from a password protected site using GET to fetch data. This site returns XML rather than JSON. How do I adjust the cDataSet query for the XML being stored in the target sheet?
Regards
David

Bruce Mcpherson

Oct 21, 2013, 4:18:42 PM10/21/13
to excel-ramblings@googlegroups com

David..i don't have an xml digester. Excel has built in support for xml so i didn't bother..Bruce

David Scott Stokes

Oct 21, 2013, 5:07:03 PM10/21/13
to excel-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,
That is a pity. I was looking at automating the following process:
(1) Download the key field from a site using cDataSet returning the XML with erSingleQuery
(2) Populate several sheets with data using the key field and erQueryPerRow
(3) Assemble certain data fields with suitable titles with VBA
(4) Post the result using JSON in to other applications.

cDataSet looks exceptionally well suited to this task with both erSingleQuery and erQueryPerRow. Also becase JSON is required in step 4. However, cDataSet is a masterpiece and so I am reluctant to break it open and tinker. I would far prefer to center the code around cDataSet as the key process enabler with an ongoing maintenance path. Buts needs must.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Regards

David SCOTT STOKES
Chartered Accountant FCA PMP
david.sco...@inman.com.au    www.inman.com.au
+61 417 531107 in Australia and global roaming

Bruce Mcpherson

Oct 21, 2013, 6:44:21 PM10/21/13
to excel-r...@googlegroups.com
david - conversion of xml to json is fairly trivial.. i'll put it on my list and see if i can get to it. Im travelling on business right now

bruce

David Scott Stokes

Oct 22, 2013, 1:50:28 AM10/22/13
to excel-ramblings