Help needed: Exaile is upgrading to GTK3/GStreamer 1.x

Dustin Spicuzza

May 18, 2015, 3:11:00 AM5/18/15
to exaile...@googlegroups.com, exaile...@googlegroups.com
Hey there!

GStreamer 0.10 has been obsolete for a long time now, and with the
impending removal of 0.10 from Debian we decided that it would make
sense to upgrade. PyGI for GStreamer 1.x is not compatible with GTK2, so
we're upgrading to GTK3 at the same time. We're optimistic that the
Exaile experience will be better than ever after these upgrades.

Due to the amount of work required, we're suspending work on
non-critical bugs on the 3.4.x series until we've merged this into master.

Right now, we need people interested in playing around with
gtk/gstreamer to poke at Exaile interface, see what breaks, record bugs,
and issue pull requests to fix bugs. A lot of the heavy lifting has been
done already and it sorta works, but there's still a lot left. Every
little bit helps. If you want to mess with it, check out the 'gi' branch
on github.

At the moment, we're tracking things using this wiki page:
https://github.com/exaile/exaile/wiki/PyGI-migration-tasklist-%28GTK3-GStreamer-1.x%29
. We're also hanging out on IRC at various times.

Once the bugs become much harder to find, we'll make a release candidate
available for users to try it out, and track bugs using the github issue
tracker. With your help, optimistically we can get this done in a few weeks.

Thanks for continuing to support Exaile!