Exabgp Tool Scaling 300 Peers and sending 60K Route per neighbor

Ramki

Aug 21, 2019, 10:40:30 AM8/21/19
to exabgp-users
Hi

I am using the Exabgp tool for scaling 300 neighbors and sending 60K Routes for Each BGP Session.
I am having VRR router and that will learn the routes and send back to Exabgp tool.
Now i want this tool to discard this packets  and send tcp ack packets so that , my VRR router will drain the other queues faster.
please let me know we can do something on this.

Thanks
Ramki

Thomas Mangin

Aug 21, 2019, 10:51:19 AM8/21/19
to exabgp...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ramki,

Sorry I can not understand what you are asking. You are not clear enough.
If you have a configuration problem or find a bug, please let me know and I will try to help.
I can help you with ExaBGP .. not your network design.

Sincerely.

Thomas

Ramakrishnan Shanmugasundaram

Aug 21, 2019, 11:05:29 AM8/21/19
to exabgp...@googlegroups.com, thisisv...@gmail.com, sta...@juniper.net
Hi Thomas,

Im attaching the config file

R0(Server) ----- R1 ( VRR Router)
R0 is running the Exabgp tool where i am making 300 bgp session to the VRR Router.
I am sending around 4M routes totally, i want exabgp tool to send all the routes quickly but i  am seeing slowness with the tool for the learning rate.
My VRR also sending the routes back to the Exabgp tool which i want to be discarded and send ack fast.

Currently i am seeing this is the learning rate.

Scale

Total No of Peers

Read Peers No

Write Peers No

Inque fill time

Outqueue Drain time

4 M

1

1

0

3:30

3

it is possible to have a quick call to discuss the same.

Thanks
Ramki

route_gen_new.conf

Thomas Mangin

Aug 21, 2019, 5:01:24 PM8/21/19
to exabgp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

If I understand correctly, we are speaking of about 300 neighbours with each around 13k routes.

This will be quite a lot for ExaBGP as Python code can only take advantage of a single CPU core.

You are going to see really slow convergence speed (connection establishment should be fine).
Also once the connections is established, keepalive mesages are prioritised so connections should have no issues staying up.

It will work but will be surely slower than you really wish.

You can try to improve performance ...:
 - look if pypy can improve the overall performance
 - turning off the ADJ-RIB out (to save memory + CPU) "adj-rib-out false" (but in case of disconnect you will have to resend the routes yourself)
 - use multiple ExaBGP instance, each connecting to a smaller number of peers
 - or using GoBGP https://github.com/osrg/gobgp which will be able to take advantage of powerful CPU

If you want ExaBGP to ignore incoming route you can also turn off the ADJ-RIB in (CPU) "adj-rib-in false" (and just not send them to via the API).

Thomas

Ramakrishnan Shanmugasundaram

Aug 21, 2019, 10:27:25 PM8/21/19
to exabgp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Thank you very much for your reply and detailed explanation on the possible try which can be given with the Exabgp tool.
I will give a try with the Exabgp instance and pypy , Update you back on the results which we have achieved.

Thanks & Regards
Ramki