Neighbor not getting updates after adding to running config

Josh

Feb 1, 2018, 10:18:19 PM2/1/18
to exabgp-users
When I have ExaBGP running and I edit the conf file and add another neighbor and then do a service exabgp reload the neighbor connects and is in an established state however it is not sent the routes.    Is there another command needed to send the routes to the new neighbor?

Thomas Mangin

Feb 2, 2018, 5:13:50 AM2/2/18
to exabgp...@googlegroups.com
Josh,

ExaBGP does not have a global RIB so has no way to populate the ADJ-RIB-OUT .. So if the neighbor sees no route, it must be that no route are associated with it.
Without the configuration and step to reproduce to be sure - I can only say sounds normal unless it is not.

Thomas

On 2 February 2018 at 03:18, Josh <jo...@voipsquared.com> wrote:
When I have ExaBGP running and I edit the conf file and add another neighbor and then do a service exabgp reload the neighbor connects and is in an established state however it is not sent the routes.    Is there another command needed to send the routes to the new neighbor?

Josh

Feb 2, 2018, 12:24:53 PM2/2/18
to exabgp-users
Thomas,

Below is config.  I have no idea if its ideal.  Overall goal is to send blocklist to peers. Accept no incoming announcements from neighbors.

I am looking for a way to add neighbors to the list and send routes to them without doing a service exabgp restart and flapping the existing neighbors.

Is the only way to resend using Signal?

With below I can add neighbors and do a reload and they will connect but the routes are not send unless I do a restart or use Signal.

#!/usr/bin/env exabgp
group AS65501 {
        router-id 5.6.7.8;
        local-address 5.6.7.8;
        local-as 65500;
        peer-as 65501;
        md5 testpassword;

        neighbor 1.2.3.4 {
                family {
                        inet4 unicast;
                }
       }

        neighbor 1.2.3.5 {
                family {
                        inet4 unicast;
                }
       }

        neighbor 1.2.3.6 {
                family {
                        inet4 unicast;
                }
       }

        process blocklist_processor {
                run /usr/bin/python2 /etc/exabgp/blocklist.py;
        }
}

Thanks

Thomas Mangin

Feb 2, 2018, 12:29:38 PM2/2/18
to exabgp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Josh,

Ok! the routes are sent via the API and as the peer was not present when you sent the routes, the neighbour does not know them, you need the API code to re-announce the routes.
The routes will be filtered for the peers which already saw them so it does not matter (but you could announce them ONLY for the new peers).

Thomas

Josh

Feb 2, 2018, 1:06:02 PM2/2/18
to exabgp-users
Trying to think of the best way to implement this.

The behavior of the script is to initially announce all IPs in the blocklist and sleep for x and on next run if any are no longer in list it withdraws and if any are added it announces.

So running service exabgp force-reload should rerun the process Python script and regenerate the routes without dropping the peers?

Any other way that I am overlooking to accomplish this?

Thanks