GTR+Gamma model for amino acid data

Xavi Grau

May 31, 2016, 12:02:25 PM5/31/16
to ExaBayes
Hi everyone,

I've read in the MBE paper that Exabayes implements a GTR model for protein data, besides the fixed-rate matrices (http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/31/10/2553.full):

For protein data, we offer 18 commonly used fixed-rate substitution matrices as well as a GTR model. We also implemented a comprehensive set of topological proposals that assure rapid convergence and adapted these for massively parallel execution.

Yet, it does not appear in the Amino Acid Model Prior section of the manual:

• disc( m 1 = w 1 , m 2 = w 2 , . . ., m n = w n )
a discrete probability distribution assigning weights w i to protein substitution
matrices m i . If only one model is specified, this is equivalent to a fixed prior.
m may be one of the following models: DAYHOFF, DCMUT, JTT, MTREV,
WAG, RTREV, CPREV, VT, BLOSUM62, MTMAM, LG, MTART, MTZOA,
PMB, HIVB, HIVW, JTTDCMUT, FLU.

Therefore, if I understand it correctly, is GTR activated by default if I don't specifiy a fixed-rate protein model as a prior? And, also, I assume the same is true for the activation of the gamma distribution of rate heterogeneity, as you've said before for nucleotide data (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/exabayes/gtr/exabayes/yHJ93loP3jg/etjNiHD6xuwJ)

Thanks in advance, and excuse me if this is a silly question. I just couldn't find a definite answer in the docs.

Best,

Xavi

Andre Aberer

Jun 1, 2016, 2:44:56 AM6/1/16
to exab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavi,

I am sorry, the manual is not 100% up to date. But the default config
file is.

Yes, the Gamma model for rate heterogeneity is always on by default and
cannot be turned off currently.

You can turn on GTR for AA by setting the substitution rate prior
("revMatPr") to "dirichlet" (i.e., remove the comment around that
awkwardly long statement). If all 189 values are left at 1.0, then you
have the equivalent of a multi-dimensional uniform prior.

Maybe you'll also have to comment out the "state frequency prior"
(statefreqpr) and set it to dirichlet.

As a side note, if you want to use fixed-rate matrices but have ExaBayes
sample the state frequencies, you only have to set statefreqpr to
dirichlet.

--
Best regards,
Andre

Xavi Grau writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've read in the MBE paper that Exabayes implements a GTR model for protein
> data, besides the fixed-rate matrices
> (http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/31/10/2553.full):
>
> *For protein data, we offer 18 commonly used fixed-rate substitution
> matrices as well as a GTR model. We also implemented a comprehensive set of
> topological proposals that assure rapid convergence and adapted these for
> massively parallel execution.*
>

> Yet, it does not appear in the Amino Acid Model Prior section of the manual:
>

> *• disc( m 1 = w 1 , m 2 = w 2 , . . ., m n = w n )*
> *a discrete probability distribution assigning weights w i to protein
> substitution*
> *matrices m i . If only one model is specified, this is equivalent to a
> fixed prior.*
> *m may be one of the following models: DAYHOFF, DCMUT, JTT, MTREV,*
> *WAG, RTREV, CPREV, VT, BLOSUM62, MTMAM, LG, MTART, MTZOA,*
> *PMB, HIVB, HIVW, JTTDCMUT, FLU. *

Xavi Grau

Jun 1, 2016, 3:21:12 AM6/1/16
to exab...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andre,

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try.

Best,

Xavi

El dia 01/06/2016 8:44 a. m., "Andre Aberer" <an...@aberer.io> va escriure:

Christian Rinke

Jul 30, 2019, 9:52:30 PM7/30/19
to ExaBayes
To follow up on this older post - what is actually the default amino acid substitution model in ExaBayes? Assuming we don't specify any particular model using -m?
Best,
Chris

Alexandros Stamatakis

Jul 31, 2019, 3:43:41 AM7/31/19
to exab...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure actually, I'd assume it integrates over all possible AA
models using a uniform prior, please have a look at the two examples:

stadard models:
https://github.com/aberer/exabayes/blob/devel/examples/aa/config.nex

and

GTR model:
https://github.com/aberer/exabayes/blob/devel/examples/aa-revmat/config.nex

hope that helps,

Alexis

--
Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology

www.exelixis-lab.org

Andre Aberer

Jul 31, 2019, 2:22:42 PM7/31/19
to exab...@googlegroups.com