Fwd: FW: Election update

William Scott

Jun 8, 2010, 9:43:41 PM6/8/10
to ex-qf-...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Purvinas <purv...@bigpond.com>
Date: 8 June 2010 17:06
Subject: FW: Election update
To: Steve Purvinas <purv...@bigpond.com>

G’day all,

Just a quick update on what has happened to date with Federal Court proceedings regarding the elections.

The first hearing was last week and to put it in simple terms.  The judge had to determine if there even was a case to be heard that had some prospect of success.  Steve Re and I had engaged Tom Dixon a barrister to represent us.  The ALAEA had separate representation.

On the other side sat the Government solicitor and Paras Parasram representing himself.

Tom Dixon gave a brief outline of the case.  Parasram objected to the ALAEA being a party to the proceedings.  The judge stated that it was yet to be determined if there would even be any proceedings and if it got to that stage, he would then consider if it was appropriate for the ALAEA to be a party.

After about 15 minutes, the judge said that he had heard enough and had decided there would be a case.  He set yesterday aside to propose a timeline and determine if the ALAEA should be involved.

Yesterday the ALAEA explained how the decision by the AEC affected them.  Parasram objected to ALAEA involvement again.  The judge ruled that the ALAEA were an interested party and could take part in the case.  He set a timeline for submissions that I am working to this week with our legal team.

The case proper will be heard on Wednesday the 16th of June at 1015.  Anyone interested in attending is more than welcome.  It is located at the law courts building 237 Maquarie Street Sydney.

cheers

Steve Purvinas