Theoretical Ancestor - Sidney Ewing 2 Feb 1771, VA

Stephanie Lynn

Sep 15, 2023, 9:08:43 AM9/15/23
to Ewing Family Association
I'm Stephanie Burr Lynn - wife of David Rankin Lynn. I have been researching the Linn/Lynn family line for a decade now and David recently did a FamilyTreeDNA 111 marker test and we are waiting for his results from big Y. He shows up as I-P37 Haplogroup which isn't in the DNA profile of the Ewing Group project but there are a few I-M170 from which I-P37 mutated (I guess that is the right language).

Here is the lineage as best we can confirm. We have a good bit of confirmation from the Lynn/Linn DNA tests that he is descended from Adam Linn but there has always been a question about "which" Adam Linn. We are working from a theory that his lineage descends from Adam Linn (sr) who married Isabelle, who had a son Adam Linn Jr. We believe it was the Adam Linn Jr. that married Sidney Ewing. Her father, Robert Ewing, witnessed the will of Adam Linn Sr. and this is why we have this theory.

There were apparently four Adam Linn's in the same general area of similar ages so it's been quite a task to connect the right Adam's!  If we can find the DNA match between my husband and the Ewing clan, it could help solve this mystery. There are a few other Lynns who match with my husband and we could also pull them into the Ewing group to see if there are matches.

Anyways, I am writing to you all to ask if you have any ideas about how to prove or disprove this theory. I've added David to your Ewing DNA group. His kit number is B980755

David Rankin Lynn Lineage

1. Adam Linn (b.1695 Ireland,d.24 Mar 1777 Bedford, VA) m. Jane Isabelle Dickerson

  2. Adam Linn (b.1750 Pennsylvania,d.1 June 1832 Trigg County, KY) m. Sidney  Ewing 2 Feb 1771, VA

    3. Charles Linn (b.11 September 1777 Bedford, VA, d. 4 May 1858 Kentucky) m. Nancy Payne 11 Jun 1801, Tennessee

      4. Lilburn Cyrus Linn (b.22 Mar 1810 Kentucky, d. 24 Sep 1901Kentucky) m. Rebecca Hodges 11 Jul 1833, Calloway, KY

        5. Charles Bradford Linn (b.22 Apr 1837 Kentucky, d. 9 Oct 1914 Kentucky) m.Nancy S. Menefee

          6. James Lilburn Linn (b.14 Feb 1868 Kentucky, d.29 Jan 1948 Kentucky) m. Lula C. Kirk

            7. Jessie Young Linn  (b. 12 Jun 1900, d. 09 Apr 1984 Kentucky) m. Sadie Gray Padgett 2 Jun1932 Reno, NV

              8. Kirk Padgett Lynn (b.22 Jan 1934 San Mateo, CA, d. 21 Jan 2006 Atlanta, GA) m. Jane Sneed Apr 1956 Huntsville, AL

                9. David Lynn (b.26 May 1962) m. Stephanie Lynn Burr

Hope to hear back from you if you have time to investigate the DNA results for David comparative to the Ewing Family DNA.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Lynn

7iron707--DGEwing

Sep 15, 2023, 10:42:13 AM9/15/23
to Ewing Family Association
Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for reaching out , the more folks that add, ask for , question conclusions and share research data wrt to the Ewing Clades, the more dots will be connected--and all of us will benefit.

First let me make sure that you recognize that David's Y chromosome's DNA (yDNA) will not be of any benefit wrt connecting him to Sidney Ewing.

The Y is passed from father to son, generation after generation and never recombines (mix and match) with the other 22 1/2 pair of chromosomes.  You probably already knew that, but I want to make sure we are departing from the same depot of understanding.  It is about 59 million base pair (nucleotide) long ( the smallest of the chromosomes--the puny one) and the only way it changes is an occasional mutation (SNP, single nucleotide polymorphism ) every couple of generations or so.  That means that David's Y is essentially identical to his 20th GGGrand Father's.  He probably has something close to 8-15 mutations that his 20th great-grandfather did not have.  Those SNPs (mutations we call downstream SNPs).  So the 8-15 differences out of 59 million , most folks would call identical.  Therefore that makes the Y an excellent research tool for verifying/identifying paternal lineage, but wont help with connecting to Sidney.

Now, the first 22 pair of the 23 chromosome pair are the non-sex chromosomes and they do mix and match ensuring each of us are unique--but nearly identical.  95% or there about of our DNA matches everyone else, we have two feet , two eyes, two nostrils, two thumbs, two brain hemispheres, two lungs, and a bunch of other duplicate body parts and functions.

This DNA we call autosomal (atDNA) and it can be a very useful tool in verifying/identifying ancestors, cousins (1st to 5th or more) , uncles/aunts from 10-15 generations ago to our parents siblings. It does require training, practice and tons of discipline.  The most popular labs are Ancestry, MyHeritage, 23 and me, Family Tree DNA and a few others.  Your success in using atDNA as a genealogical tool is a function of four primary elements: 1. finding matches; 2. matches having useful genealogy, 3. matches willing to share/communicate and 4. a logical mapping regime

#1. Finding Matches -- Ancestry.com will provide you with the highest matching probability, but they do not provide the results in a format that supports #4's mapping requirement--however,  you and your matches can download results and upload to GedMatch.com for free and that will find more matches and give you the data that will allow for mapping.

#2 and 3 Useful Matches.  ---A few years ago, nearly everyone who had atDNA were solid genealogists , had solid trees and genuinely  want to help each other. However, after Ancestry's marketing "Trade your Kilt for Lederhosen" , folks just wanted to find their "ethnicity".  So be prepared to become frustrated occasionally when you believe that you have found the match that will answer all of the mysteries of the universe, and they do not have a tree,  and/or will not respond to any of your messages or emails....

# 4 Mapping.  This is way too complex to cover here, but the easiest entry level tool for mapping is DNA Painter.com.  Watch YouTube videos , ask questions on forums and FB groups and email me

Your kit # above is from FTDNA and looks very similar to GedMatch.com's kit numbering system.  When you order atDNA , Ancestry  is my recommendation and then download and upload to Gedmatch.com (free), MyHeritage (sml fee) and FTDNA (sml fee) , so that you can maximize the potential of "good" matches......and obtain useful data that can be "mapped".  After uploading to Gedmatch.com join the  Ewing Ancestor atDNA Project, the project that you joined at FTDNA is focused on Y DNA,  (Ewing Surname---father to son Ewings DNA)

email me at ad...@ewingdna.com if you would like more detail.

I hope my response is clear, I know that it is not concise.

DG Ewing Sr
Admin for the Ewing Y DNA Project

7iron707--DGEwing

Sep 15, 2023, 10:56:33 AM9/15/23
to Ewing Family Association
Stephanie,

I just checked you kit and it appears that you also have an atDNA unlock ordered the atDNA.  If so , down load and upload to Gedmatch.com (free) and I would recommend uploading to MyHeritage for a small fee if he tested at Ancestry.  FTDNA's genealogical tools are not as robust as Ancestry's or MyHeritage, (that is an understatement) nor do they come close to the number of other testers.....the more test the higher number of matches, and it is all about matching,  With the relatively inexpensive cost of the atDNA , I ordered kits from both FTDNA and Ancestry.....by the way, get your husbands, aunts, uncles and parents tested, they have nearly double the amount of any DNA shared with Sidney, and therefore it will be easier to find.

sorry for not looking more closely at what tests David has at FTDNA.

Betty J. Durbin Carson

Sep 16, 2023, 12:06:44 AM9/16/23
to Ewing Family Association
My paternal grandmother was Laura Ella (Eleanor) Ewing.  My sister Doris (now deceased) & I spend a lot of time, Travel and EXPENSE tracing our connections; we co-authored a book which has a chapter on .  I have published 21 genealogy family books including one on DNA 34 families!

I do research for inquiries forwarded to me from the SC State Archives.  I love genealogy and spend hours/days on it.  I am doing a new book on the Lindsay/Lindsey and Mac/McKenzie lines that go back to Charlemagne ca 700 AD.

Sidney Ewing would not help with DNA; must be a male descendant.  My husband's family always insisted my husband was related to the Kit Carson legendary figure; DNA from my son and his male cousin show that it goes back way past Kit Carson who is Viking and their line is Gaelic!

Sidney Anne "Sarah" Ewing is daughter of Robert Ewing and niece of William Ewing (both named in Adam's Will).  They were born in County Londonderry, Ireland, near Coleraine.

I have two/three research connections with DNA indicated & says it is proven for the Linn/Lynn name which goes back to John Bardsen Lein Lynn:  birth 1530- Rissa, Sor Trondelag, Norway; died 1588-Stadsbygd, Sor Trondelag, Norway.

By 1585, the family was in Ayrshire, Scotland (same location as my Lindsay/McKenzie's).  By 1610 & 1645, they are in Dublin Ulster, Ireland; William David died 1727 in Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Virgina.  Two sons born in Ulster, Donegal, Ireland, died  Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Virgina.  His father Dr. John Lynn was born in 1721 in Ireland, died 14 Sep in 1772 Adams or York, PA.

If you are interested in copies of family sheets, probate, Adam Linn's Will with signature & children, Land records, DAR APPLICATION COPY FOR DESCENDANT, etc:.    Send me $50 Money Order or Cash for my time (which I enjoyed!), paper & toner, Postage.  I do not accept checks as many times they BOUNCE AND IT IS NOT WORTH THE HASSLE.

Betty J. Durbin Carson, 368 Sease Hill Road, Lexington, SC 29073.  Phone (803) 359-7408.

Stephanie Lynn

Sep 16, 2023, 1:34:36 PM9/16/23
to Ewing Family Association

Yes I do know that yDNA only passes father to son - i just lost my head for a minute. Even though he has yDNA tests at FTDNA, it does seem useless for this particular research area.

We did load his atDNA to FTDNA as well and there are three matches who show as 4th cousins or further with current last names of Ewing and 30 or so with surname Ewing in their lineages. I'll need to dig into these to see what i can find. I have found, in general, there are very few people who have well developed trees that also have DNA results in 23andme, ancestry and FTDNA. I have found that most people use any sort of rigor in building their trees even when they do.

I will reach out to some of the Ewing matches I found to see if that opens any doors. Thanks for your advice.

Betty J. Durbin Carson

Sep 16, 2023, 1:48:21 PM9/16/23
to Ewing Family Association
Yes, there is a lot of false information out there as they try to fit their family together.    Good Luck!   I just found original documents for David Lindsay (1359-1407) who married Elizabeth Katherine Stirling in Angus, Scotland, which I needed to finish the Lindsay/Lindsey chapter.  His father Alexander Lindsay married a daughter of King Robert II.

DG Ewing

Sep 16, 2023, 4:31:23 PM9/16/23
to Stephanie Lynn, Ewing Family Association
Please upload to Gedmatch Ewing  Ancestor Project and compare to the 200 known Ewing progeny kits

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 16, 2023, at 12:34 PM, Stephanie Lynn <sl...@plexusweb.com> wrote:

--
Visit our main EFA site at https://ewingfamilyassociation.org .