מעבר להודעה הראשונה שלא נקראה

Martin Ewing

לא נקראה,
15 בינו׳ 2023, 22:21:4915.1.2023
עד Ewing Group

The new AI oracle saith:

"The first recorded use of the name Ewing in Scotland is in 1296, in the records of the Scottish parliament, when a man named Ewinus de Ewynge is listed as a witness. Over time, the name spread throughout Scotland and also to other parts of the British Isles, including England, Ireland, and Wales."

_irst I've heard of Ewinus. Comments?

Wally Ewing

לא נקראה,
16 בינו׳ 2023, 9:23:0316.1.2023
עד Martin Ewing,Ewing Group
That is a great find, Martin. Where are the records of the Scottish parliament stored?

--
Visit our main EFA site at https://ewingfamilyassociation.org .
---

Martin Ewing

לא נקראה,
16 בינו׳ 2023, 9:45:0316.1.2023
עד Wallace Ewing,Ewing Group
Wally,

ChatGPT is a new and notorious artificial intelligence resource. It can come up with incorrect unattributed data, so its results can't be relied upon too much. I should have said that.

All we have is a dubious suggestion that a "Ewinus de Ewinge" may have been a very early forebear.

Martin

David Ewing

לא נקראה,
16 בינו׳ 2023, 9:53:5616.1.2023
עד wkew...@gmail.com,Ewing Group,Martin Ewing
Well, now, off we stumble again into the thickets of orthographic variation. "Ewinus" is a latinized version of some name, but no more likely Ewing than any other version of Ew*n (where * means you can insert pretty much any vowel you like). Maybe a stronger case can be made that "Ewynge" bears a lineal relationship to Ewing as such, but I'm not sure to what purpose unless we have more information about the provenance of this fellow. If you are tempted to believe the AI oracle has this definitively sorted, have another look at C. L'Estrange Ewen's 12-page book chapter, "The Etymon and Its Signification," posted on our website at
https://www.ewingfamilyassociation.org/documents/BritishIsleSurnames_Ewing.pdf. I reckon the oracle could have cited something from several hundred years before the 13th century.

David Neal Ewing

David Ewing

לא נקראה,
16 בינו׳ 2023, 12:07:0216.1.2023
עד Martin Ewing,Ewing Group,Wallace Ewing
Frankie and I went looking for forebears last summer during our trip east to the gathering. We found these four bears in Central Park:

Xan Smith

לא נקראה,
16 בינו׳ 2023, 14:18:5516.1.2023
עד Martin Ewing,Ewing Group
The likelihood, should such a person have existed, that he is related is quite slim either way.  When we consider that Ewing is from the same root as John, and Scottish naming conventions in the 11th century were similar to what we see in Iceland today with direct patronyms holding out for at least another two centuries.  John son of John would not at all be an uncommon name, what with its biblical significance.  Spelling of the language, and especially of names, also wouldn't be nailed down for another few centuries.  Even as late as the 1600s, William Shakespeare himself spelled his own name in a whole manner of different ways.

It does lead into an interesting discussion of what names even are and how they are applied.  With nothing to go on but a name, anything before around 1400 is unlikely to be related just because the name is similar sounding.  At least not without being able to trace church birth/baptism records directly.  And as far as I can tell we can't even go as far back as Ewan of Otter directly, despite at least three clans claiming to trace their lineage to him.

-Xan

Though David has pointed out to me that the John to Ewing name lineage may not be correct: https://www.ewingfamilyassociation.org/documents/BritishIsleSurnames_Ewing.pdf
Which brings up some more interesting points of discussion.  If you lot find yourself wanting to come over to this side of the pond for an event, I'd love to dive down that rabbit hole it over a few beers.

--

Steve Ewing

לא נקראה,
16 בינו׳ 2023, 17:05:5016.1.2023
עד David Ewing,Martin Ewing,Ewing Group,Wallace Ewing
David, uncanny resemblance to the Brewen. Steve C Ewe-ing.

--
Steven C. Ewing
53 South Sixteenth Street

השב לכולם