Calculate in days not in years?

Nele W

Oct 1, 2020, 5:14:29 AM10/1/20
to EwE users
Hello everyone,
I am fairly new in using EwE and the only one using the software in my group, therefore I am still struggling a bit with it.
I want to set a for fish larvea development in an estuary. The fish migrate back into the ocean when they are about 4 month old, meaning that my focus is only on 4 month of the year - wherefore I would like to set the model to days and use time series data for zooplankton, the food sorce of the fish. I think, you can only load timesheets in years and not in weeks as I would like to. Furthermore, when creating stanza groups is, they use month as timesteeps - I would prefer here weeks or even days as well. So my question is: could I assume that years = days or are there other issues I am not aware of why this is a bad idea? Or simly - is there another way how I could set the model to days?
Cheers Nele

Duke ten Velden

Nov 4, 2020, 4:52:12 AM11/4/20
to EwE users
Hi Nele,
I was in a similar situation like you and simply assumed I could calculate all my parameters from years to weeks (the time frame I worked on) and that there wouldn't be any problem. But yes, it would be a nice addition of Ecopath would allow you to set timeframes.
Best wishes,
Duke

EwE dev team

Nov 9, 2020, 3:43:37 PM11/9/20
to Duke ten Velden, EwE users
Hi Duke,

EwE already has that 'feature': you can pick any time label in the Ecopath Parameters form, as long as you make sure that all your input values are scaled to the correct time unit. EwE does not automatically rescale - and I don't think it should. Only you, the modeller, knows the input data.

One snag: some stanza calculations assume that Ecosim uses 12 monthly time steps per year

Best,
Jeroen

Duke ten Velden

Jun 3, 2021, 9:30:24 AM6/3/21
to EwE users
Hi Jeroen,

A question about scaling the corect values to your time unit:
Let's say I would like to work in months, would my input value be x/12 or x^(1/12)?

Thanks,
Duke