Ecosim environmental response (foraging) question

Bai Li - NOAA Affiliate

Jun 1, 2022, 5:02:32 PM6/1/22
to EwE users
Hello everyone,

I am working on setting up an EwE model and trying to link multiple environmental drivers (e.g., precipitation) with a specific functional group using Ecosim. I used the applying environmental responses (foraging) feature and it worked. However, I am not sure what is actually happening inside of the model in terms of the actual shape of the relationship between the driver and the functional group.

I wonder if you have some information about the underlying formula for this feature that could help me better understand the process. It would be great if there is information about what is happening when linking two drivers with one functional group as well. Thank you!

Best,
Bai Li

EwE user support

Jun 2, 2022, 4:19:43 PM6/2/22
to Bai Li - NOAA Affiliate, EwE users
Hi Bai Li,

Ecosim uses a near-identical approach as Ecospace as described in
Christensen et al. 2014 (attached) to restrict the size of the foraging
arena. Foraging responses are multiplicative as described in the paper.

I hope this is useful.

Best,
Jeroen
EwE dev team
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eweusers/316a4295-3267-49af-b1eb-94845b526de0n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eweusers/316a4295-3267-49af-b1eb-94845b526de0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Christensen et al. - 2014 - Representing Variable Habitat Quality in a Spatial.pdf

Bai Li - NOAA Affiliate

Jun 3, 2022, 3:59:30 PM6/3/22
to EwE users
Great, thank you, Jeroen!