Automated fitting routine

Miriam Püts

Jul 21, 2020, 10:36:20 AM7/21/20
to EwE users
Dear Ecopath community,

I have a question about the automated fitting routine implemented in EwE. The AIC here is defined as: AIC = n · log (minSS/n) + 2K with n being the total number of observations, minSS is the minimum sum of squares and K is the number of parameters estimated.
If you look at this formular from a statistical point, K should always be the same since the number of vulnerability parameters is constant, whether they have been tuned or not. So AIC should only change based on the number of time series being used to evaluate SS, not the number of parameters being tuned.

What are your thoughts about that? Are we missing something?

Thanks for your input,
Miriam